What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 756K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
- 3,381
- 2,936
Home Office for an international company is sooooo 'fun'...
I have a VPN to the main office (in a different country), where my traffic got forwarded (through another VPN) to the local centre here, for the local servers.
We also have an additional level of encryption for some folders
Also, the security software is monitoring every traffic
At the end, just to copy some files around goes in the speed range of astounding kb/sec
I have some nostalgia but definitely did not wished back the good old 'modem times' ...
I have a VPN to the main office (in a different country), where my traffic got forwarded (through another VPN) to the local centre here, for the local servers.
We also have an additional level of encryption for some folders
Also, the security software is monitoring every traffic
At the end, just to copy some files around goes in the speed range of astounding kb/sec
I have some nostalgia but definitely did not wished back the good old 'modem times' ...
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Not a good way of hitting nor writing!BillTre said:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
So I've received 5-6 more blackmail attempt emails in the last month or so. Telling me they'll let all of my contacts know of my visits to porn sites. Which is false. But even if it were true, it's not illegal. They claim to have taken control of my OS, accessed my emails, but offer no proof whatsoever of it.
I went from a sensation of fear to < Yawn>.
I went from a sensation of fear to < Yawn>.
- 13,926
- 16,804
There's a video on YouTube somewhere of a scam call going "you have debts, you need to pay up immediately or we'll call the sheriffs and you will be arrested", to a somewhat bemused woman sitting, in uniform, at a desk saying "Sheriff Jane Smith".WWGD said:So I've received 5-6 more blackmail attempt emails in the last month or so. Telling me they'll let all of my contacts know of my visits to porn sites. Which is false. But even if it were true, it's not illegal. They claim to have taken control of my OS, accessed my emails, but offer no proof whatsoever of it.
I went from a sensation of fear to < Yawn>.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Temperature is forecasted to be 107°F this Thursday. Dang.dlgoff said:Dang. It's 104 °F and forecasted to reach 110 °F this afternoon here in my area of Kansas
edit: Just checked and it's now 109 °F.
edit: added the °F which wouldn't work when doing this reply.
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Try cold drinks, light food: turkey, tuna, vegetable. Not always fun, but it helps keep you feeling a bit lighter.dlgoff said:It's 102°F here. I've never seen it stay so hot for so long.
Tomorrow it's forecast to be 106°F and Friday 104°F. Next week should be down in the 80's.
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
- 3,212
- 3,841
Called "xeriscape." I have replaced my lawn with several varieties of crushed stone and gravel. And as plants die, replaced them with metal "yard art" plants. Much less water use.WWGD said:We may have to switch from using landscaping using lush vegetation to more desert-like plants, to cut down on water use.
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2
