What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
- 3,648
- 10,067
How is turning a key - that is already in - more complicated than turning a deadbolt?pinball1970 said:Having to use a key for that is wrong. It should be as simple as possible.
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,883
- 6,216
Yes sounds simple enough but when the place is hot full of smoke, no vision, you do not want to be grasping for a small key.jack action said:How is turning a key - that is already in - more complicated than turning a deadbolt?
- 20,819
- 28,467
Exists. Not an app, but I know at least two parking lots with according traffic lights: green for available slots, and red for occupied sections.WWGD said:Why doesn't someone come up with an app to find parking spots in mega parking lots in shopping centers? Maybe the cost of all the semdors, and relaying data, requiring WiFi?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
It would be great if it could be applied city-wide. I'd heard one of the main sources of traffic in L.A was cars going about looking for parking spaces.fresh_42 said:Exists. Not an app, but I know at least two parking lots with according traffic lights: green for available slots, and red for occupied sections.
Wonder, though, if the law of " If you build it, they will come" applies to parking spaces, as it applies to road construction.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Wonder if it uses some sensors or just basic counting. If you know you have n spots, you can subtract 1 for every ticket issued by the machine,and add 1 each time someone leaves. Then you get green when ##n\geq 1 ##, and red for ##n=0##.fresh_42 said:Exists. Not an app, but I know at least two parking lots with according traffic lights: green for available slots, and red for occupied sections.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Those I know use simple counting mechanisms, pre-AI, and pre-camera detection. E.g. the parking lot at the airport has a ticket machine with a boom gate for every 60 cars or so per parking section. It counts. You can see free and occupied sections on your way. I wonder how the one at the university hospital works. It has lights on every floor but only a single boom gate at the entrance. But I can't remember having seen cameras.WWGD said:Wonder if it uses some sensors or just basic counting. If you know you have n spots, you can subtract 1 for every ticket issued by the machine,and add 1 each time someone leaves. Then you get green when ##n\geq 1 ##, and red for ##n=0##.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Ah! Sensors that is!Borg said:We have something similar in my area. Sensor on the parking spot with an indicator light above. Just look for a green light.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Thing is, if it's a parking lot giving tickets, if there's only one spot available, it may still allow two cars in, one will end up without a spot.Borg said:We have something similar in my area. Sensor on the parking spot with an indicator light above. Just look for a green light.
Admin
- 69,784
- 25,632
There is indeed an app for that. I don't know if it got past the Beta testing stage, but it has been worked on as a commercial application. I'll see if I can find it...WWGD said:Why doesn't someone come up with an app to find parking spots in mega parking lots in shopping centers? Maybe the cost of all the semdors, and relaying data, requiring WiFi?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Thank you. It brings to mind an old post about the difference between electric and electronic, the latter involving a control system, IIRC/IIUC.berkeman said:There is indeed an app for that. I don't know if it got past the Beta testing stage, but it has been worked on as a commercial application. I'll see if I can find it...
Admin
- 69,784
- 25,632
Hmm, after a quick search, I think the app I'm thinking of was just in development at the time. I think my company helped them with some networking issues, and they were using multiple cameras per parking area/garage to be able to recognize open spots. It looks like it was not commercialized. The closest thing I found was this, which I think is more for city street parking...
https://spothero.com/
https://spothero.com/
LCSphysicist
- 644
- 163
I joined this forum years ago at the beginning of my undergraduate program. Now, I am almost graduated. Sometimes, I think about where the other students and users who joined with me are (mainly, one genius boy that i can't renember the user, but people will know who i am talking about).
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,883
- 6,216
Nice you have been here the whole time.LCSphysicist said:I joined this forum years ago at the beginning of my undergraduate program. Now, I am almost graduated. Sometimes, I think about where the other students and users who joined with me are (mainly, one genius boy that i can't renember the user, but people will know who i am talking about).
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
You may be referring to @WannabeNewtonLCSphysicist said:I joined this forum years ago at the beginning of my undergraduate program. Now, I am almost graduated. Sometimes, I think about where the other students and users who joined with me are (mainly, one genius boy that i can't renember the user, but people will know who i am talking about).
Or similar name. I miss @zoobyshoe. I checked his avatar and he last posted in 2017.
LCSphysicist
- 644
- 163
Actually, I have remembered the username. Ethotepi? Something like that. The users you mentioned aren't near my age, but i do remember the first one.WWGD said:You may be referring to @WannabeNewton
Or similar name. I miss @zoobyshoe. I checked his avatar and he last posted in 2017.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
The ones I mentioned join in the 2000-2010 era, and were active through around 2018. Notice PF was started by Greg B in 2001.LCSphysicist said:Actually, I have remembered the username. Ethotepi? Something like that. The users you mentioned aren't near my age, but i do remember the first one.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
My friend complains his wife, who's around a foot shorter than him and some 100 lbs lighter, expects him to eat the same amount of food as her. I agree with him, though I can't think of the multiple by which his amount should be larger, but it certainly should be larger.
Science Advisor
- 3,648
- 10,067
It was @etotheipi, it is now @ergospherical and still active as of last month.LCSphysicist said:Actually, I have remembered the username. Ethotepi? Something like that. The users you mentioned aren't near my age, but i do remember the first one.
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
- 3,212
- 3,841
this reminds me, I have been wondering about @anorlunda , have not seen any posts from him in a while now. Checking, I see his last post was in February. Hope he's OK!
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
How about @zoobyshoe or @WannabeNewton?
They last posted in 2017, 2018 respectively. Any one know what happened to them?
They last posted in 2017, 2018 respectively. Any one know what happened to them?
Admin
- 69,784
- 25,632
He replied to my e-mail and says he is doing fine and thanks for the concern. He has found a new passion at some specialized websites, hence the reduced participation here at PF.gmax137 said:this reminds me, I have been wondering about @anorlunda , have not seen any posts from him in a while now. Checking, I see his last post was in February. Hope he's OK!
Frabjous
Gold Member
- 1,978
- 2,445
Interesting euphemismberkeman said:found a new passion at some specialized websites
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2