What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Life would be much easier if we were allowed to translate names. I haven't managed to figure out yet how Kuiper is pronounced. Cooper would be so much easier. Or Küfer to annoy the English.
 
Would it be a bad idea if there were gender-separate clothes stores, where men/women just walk around in underwear , trying on clothes, putting them back in the rack if they don't fit?
 
fresh_42 said:
Life would be much easier if we were allowed to translate names. I haven't managed to figure out yet how Kuiper is pronounced. Cooper would be so much easier. Or Küfer to annoy the English.
I've heard it pronounced chi-per. Chi as in the Greek letter ##\Chi##.
 
fresh_42 said:
... or Gauß.
Ask Simmons etc al, they're just not creatures of the night, I guess.
 
Why does my Android open up 99 tabs five minutes after I get on the Web?
 
Bystander said:
Any one lose their e-mail sometime in the last three hours*? It simply will not open.

*Last three hours is something between 0900-1200 MDT.
..., annddd it's fixed itself. Like Schultz, I did nothing....

Curiously enough, today (Saturday) between 0900-1400....
 
Still weaseling out of dealing with 12 y.o. kid I gave an open problem to. His father told me he was interested in Number Theory, asked me to give him a problem. I asked him to figure out if there are infinitely many primes in the Fibonnaci sequence. It turns out it's an open problem.

Dad told me a while back the kid was racking his brain, depressed he wasn't making headway. Now I try to avoid dad, out of embarrassment.
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: nuuskur
Swallow the pride, admit you messed up and give another nut to crack (but make sure it's known to be crackable o0) )
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gmax137 and fresh_42
nuuskur said:
Swallow the pride, admit you messed up and give another nut to crack (but make sure it's known to be crackable o0) )
There's another one that's not open, but seems incredibly hard: there are only 3 perfect squares in Fibonnaci. Might be too hard.
 
WWGD said:
There's another one that's not open, but seems incredibly hard: there are only 3 perfect squares in Fibonnaci. Might be too hard.
The usual nutjob approach is Collatz. But why not let him prove that there are infinitely many primes and that there is only one prime triple? Playing around with Legendre symbols can also initiate his interest in number theory. Or let him prove that what he probably calls prime is in fact irreducibility. Let him prove that both are equivalent.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nuuskur
dlgoff said:
It's 100°F and is forecast to be 104°F later this afternoon here in my town in Kansas.
Every darn day it seems like the humidity is 70%+ in my city in Virginia.

I wonder if this is related to climate change? . . . I don't mind heat if it's not humid along with it. I hate humidity! It gives your skin an icky feel and causes mold/fungus growth.
 
kyphysics said:
I wonder if this is related to climate change?
Humid days and nights are not a new phenomenon in Virginia.
 
kyphysics said:
Every darn day it seems like the humidity is 70%+ in my city in Virginia.

I wonder if this is related to climate change? . . . I don't mind heat if it's not humid along with it. I hate humidity! It gives your skin an icky feel and causes mold/fungus growth.
I grew up in Maryland. I though the summers were often more humid there. I remember lots of 95% humidity.
We didn't have air conditions for many years at that time.
I thought the dry summers in Oregon at 105˚F were refreshing in comparison.
Either way its better to condition your body to high temperatures and humidity gradually if possible.

Maybe the air gets drier as the climate heats up?
 
kyphysics said:
I don't mind heat if it's not humid along with it. I hate humidity!
4je8fa.jpg
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Speaking of humidity, a hydrogen/oxygen reaction produces water so that should put the fire out. :oldwink:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and BillTre
2nd derivative negative implies convex ...

I hate school math. Why are concave functions called convex???! :headbang:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
nuuskur said:
2nd derivative negative implies convex ...

I hate school math. Why are concave functions called convex???! :headbang:
I've also heard " Concave/Convex Up/Down. Not helpful.
Edit: But Im.not too fond of questions on whether " the function converges "(??)
 
Last edited:
Strange setup in my friend's place. He uses keys to _ exit_ his apartment.
 
WWGD said:
Strange setup in my friend's place. He uses keys to _ exit_ his apartment.
To let himself out? That is very bad fire safety
 
It prevents you from forgetting the key. And in case of fire, just keep the key within the lock.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jack action
fresh_42 said:
It prevents you from forgetting the key. And in case of fire, just keep the key within the lock.
So to get back in?
 
fresh_42 said:
Yes. That's the plan.
In the event of a fire the first priority is to get yourself and the family out.
Having to use a key for that is wrong. It should be as simple as possible.
 
pinball1970 said:
It should be as simple as possible.
I agree. But I have often seen exterior doors with deadbolts, and people keeping the deadbolt key inserted on the inside. I think this is acceptable, as long as you don't leave, and lock the deadbolt behind you with other people still inside. Doing that is certainly a dangerous act.

These double-keyed deadbolts are against code, or even illegal is some jurisdictions.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970