What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #5,496
jbriggs444 said:
You've heard of forefathers? He seems to be my fourbrother.
Once removed? :oldwink:

Likes Ibix
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,497
Just found an interesting email in my inbox. I have been told that my parcel will arrive next week, including tracking number and so on. And, yes, I don't expect one. And, no, it wasn't spam or related tricks. It was only a newsletter from a serious company.

As I checked the mail I found the following situation: Imagine my name was Paul Smithe. Then the email was indeed a message addressed for Paula Smith. I wonder if I should try to tell her ...

• #5,498
zat ist unbelievable!

• #5,499
The song chorus is ( after I checked) 'I want you to be brave' but I was hearing 'I want to see your buffet'. Time to find something to eat , I guess.

• #5,500
Kind of strange. I switched to Splenda from sugar a while back. But regular -sugar pie is tasting too sweet when it is supposed to be the opposite since 1 Splenda has the sweetening power of some 10 sugars.

• #5,501
I was having lunch in a pub today, and a bloke comes in. Probably in his sixties, shaved head, nose looks like it's been broken a few times, an actual scab right on the bridge of it, and he moves like some of the senior grades at my martial arts club - weight centred at all times, even in a perfectly nice pub in central London. He walks up to the bar. "I'll 'av a large Chardonnay," he says.

That's an object lesson in making assumptions based on appearance right there (although you may need to be British to appreciate it - I'm not sure how much "Real Men only drink beer" permeates other countries).

Last edited:
  • #5,502
Weather report calls for "No clouds in the sky". Where else would they be?

Likes Keith_McClary and Craftek_Ana
  • #5,503
WWGD said:

giphy.gif

Likes WWGD
  • #5,504
Craftek_Ana said:
Every aspect of life is addressed either in Seinfeld or the Simpsons.

Likes Craftek_Ana
  • #5,505
WWGD said:
I could have sworn that the Wicked Witch of the West disappeared in a cloud of smoke that was not in the sky.

• #5,506
WWGD said:
There are many places:
above ground - chamber - movie titles - around my head - ...

• #5,507
I finally figured out why the play football on Sunday: sacked on 3 and 8 a few minutes into the game. Sunday, for otherwise the whole weekend would be ruined.

• #5,508
I finally figured out why I so many baby mammals initiate a cuteness attack in me but not so homo sapiens. Easy: they are not ready when they are born. It should take much longer than it does. And the strange part is, that it's not due to body geometry, it's due to the energy balance. They start to need more than a breeding mother can provide. They are kicked out by hunger! At least I don't find fresh born marsupials cute either.

• #5,509
fresh_42 said:
I finally figured out why I so many baby mammals initiate a cuteness attack in me but not so homo sapiens. Easy: they are not ready when they are born. It should take much longer than it does. And the strange part is, that it's not due to body geometry, it's due to the energy balance. They start to need more than a breeding mother can provide. They are kicked out by hunger! At least I don't find fresh born marsupials cute either.
I don't get your point. It takes non-human animals just a few months if not weeks to be out and about after being born. It takes humans some 18 years to reach a similar level of maturity, development. A himan 18 -month old is much more vulnerable than most 18-m.o animals.

• #5,510
Well, I find baby elephants cute, and I can only remember one fresh born sapiens which I found cute. It was a little finnish boy who when given to his mother looked as if he just thought about the universe, the life and everything. Like a little Buddha with deep wrinkles in his forehead. Guess it was rather this association than the baby which amused me. And that thing with the energy balance was actually new to me. Before I thought it was mother's pelvis which set the constraints. No, it's the energy household.

• #5,511
This idiotic vaccination debate is always about MMR. Now, do anti-vaxxers also refuse polio and tetanus?

• #5,512
fresh_42 said:
Well, I find baby elephants cute, and I can only remember one fresh born sapiens which I found cute. It was a little finnish boy who when given to his mother looked as if he just thought about the universe, the life and everything. Like a little Buddha with deep wrinkles in his forehead. Guess it was rather this association than the baby which amused me. And that thing with the energy balance was actually new to me. Before I thought it was mother's pelvis which set the constraints. No, it's the energy household.
Energy household?

• #5,513
fresh_42 said:
This idiotic vaccination debate is always about MMR. Now, do anti-vaxxers also refuse polio and tetanus?
They want to buy into the good things society offers but not accept demands, expectations most have on themselves. Go live in the #% wilderness, in your own society.

• #5,514
WWGD said:
Energy household?
Balance. The fetus demands more nutrition than the placenta can provide.

• #5,515
fresh_42 said:
Balance. The fetus demands more nutrition than the placenta can provide.
And plenty of resources once they are outside. They are vulnerable for a long period of time. Unlike most other animals( though humans are not as exposed to predators).

• #5,516
Bias confirmed by reality. I am sitting down enjoying a couple of pizza slices. Guy comes in, talking to himself. 1st clue. Starts getting louder. 2nd clue. Refers to himself in 3rd person ( I am assuming, I obviously don't know his real name, but it seemed to be the case). 3rd clue, I am out. I go back latter, police had been called in. And I don't mean Sting et al.

• #5,517
WWGD said:
talking to himself.
How can/could you tell? These days, ear buds and phones are invisible...thirty and forty years ago, definitely a nut case; today...?

Likes Keith_McClary
  • #5,518
Bystander said:
How can/could you tell? These days, ear buds and phones are invisible...thirty and forty years ago, definitely a nut case; today...?
Edit: The topic , context suggested it, but you're right that I can't be certain. He started talking at one point, without an introduction, i.e., something like hello, what you doing, etc. you often hear when a conversation begins.

Last edited:
  • #5,519
That pine cleaner I bought looks too much like the iced tea I often buy. I will try to separate them. Just in case, it's been good posting here in PF.

Likes Klystron and Keith_McClary
  • #5,520
There are two people on Earth - correction: only one left - which always make me automatically smile.

• #5,521
Time to get off the internet when talking to someone in person and doing imaginary 'Likes' with my thumb when agreeing with them.

Likes Keith_McClary
  • #5,522
I'm not ok. My oldest daughter Spawn, her young cat had cancer and underwent surgery, chemotherapy and radiation within the last year, and we were told she had been cleared of cancer.

A couple of weeks ago, she took a terrible turn for the worse, it was the cancer, she stopped eating, she was failing fast. My daughter had a home vet come and put her to sleep tonight at 6pm. I am gutted. I am devastated.

That was her child. That was my grandchild. The holidays are destroyed.

• #5,523
Evo said:
I'm not ok. My oldest daughter Spawn, her young cat had cancer and underwent surgery, chemotherapy and radiation within the last year, and we were told she had been cleared of cancer.

A couple of weeks ago, she took a terrible turn for the worse, it was the cancer, she stopped eating, she was failing fast. My daughter had a home vet come and put her to sleep tonight at 6pm. I am gutted. I am devastated.

That was her child. That was my grandchild. The holidays are destroyed.
Sorry to hear that Evo.

Likes Evo
  • #5,524
WWGD said:
Sorry to hear that Evo.
Thank you. I can't even eat. They are like family.

• #5,525
Evo said:
They are like family.
For my wife and I, they basically are family. . . and you're left with a huge hole in your

heart when they're gone. . . . :cry:His name was Little, he was 21 years old. . .

Little Died Today.PNG

WWGD said:
Sorry to hear that Evo.

The same goes for me. . .

Likes Evo and WWGD
  • #5,526
OCR said:
For my wife and I, they basically are family. . . and you're left with a huge hole in your

heart when they're gone. . . . :cry:His name was Little, he was 21 years old. . .

View attachment 253373
The same goes for me. . .

I'm so sorry OCR, it never gets easier. I think it's the fact that they give their love so unconditionally and are so dependent upon us that makes the loss feel even deeper.

• #5,527
Yes - sorry to hear all this too, @Evo.

Likes Evo
  • #5,528
Funny, our children and other loved ones are pretty independent. "Mommy, Amber's family invited me to spend the month with them in the Bahamas at a private island they rented"

Mommy, Kristen's parents invited me to spend a week in Cabo with them.

Mommy, daddy's new wife asked me to spend two weeks in Italy with her, she has to go there for work, she says she needs $2,000 if I'm coming, plus airfare.

A pet is unlikely to be going on trips with extended family or friends. Ok, if your cat is allowed outside, they may disappear for a time. Your dog will probably be with you all of the time.

• #5,529
I'm so sorry for your and Spawn's loss, @Evo.

Likes Evo
  • #5,530
Interesting ambiguous statement: I enjoy cooking with gas. I rather take something for the gas before cooking.

Likes Evo