What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 752K views
One of my favorites: For n>2 , every number 1 less than a square is composite:

##n^2 -1 =(n+1)(n-1) ##. You get the actual factorization for free.

Example: ##899=900-1 =(30+1)(30-1)=31 *29##
 
Physics news on Phys.org
DrGreg said:
[...] TV quiz show called Countdown [...]
I love the "8 out of 10 cats" version of that show. At first I thought Rachel Riley must be getting fed the formulas via an ear piece, but gradually realized she is a genuine arithmetic savant -- proving once again that life is deeply unfair, since she is also drop-dead good looking.

(Jon Richardson is also pretty incredible in the word part of the game). After I'd watched several episodes of the show I became pretty depressed at how crap I am... :oldfrown:

The Australia version "Celebrity Letters and Numbers" features Lily Serna in Rachel's role. She's also a LOT quicker than me at finding difficult formulas mentally.
 
fresh_42 said:
My doc wants to staple an afterbirth onto my eye.
The attachment method is different but, here in the US after a chemical burn damages the cornea an afterbirth (placenta) is applied to promote smooth healing and improve vision somewhat during healing.

No mechanical attachment is needed. It is like applying a very thin plastic film to wet glass, it stays put.

Cheers,
Tom
 
strangerep said:
I love the "8 out of 10 cats" version of that show. At first I thought Rachel Riley must be getting fed the formulas via an ear piece, but gradually realized she is a genuine arithmetic savant -- proving once again that life is deeply unfair, since she is also drop-dead good looking.
There's a clip on YouTube where somebody (Lee Mack, I think) asked her "how she got like that" when she was kicking herself for solving a problem one way and only noticing afterwards that she could construct it in a more elegant way. She just said she's done it a lot. And if you think about it, the regular Countdown is on five days a week and she's been co-hosting for years now, which is a lot of repetition just on screen. Practice makes perfect, I guess.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: strangerep
Only problem with living in Kansas are the thunderstorms. Power loss=No PF
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and BillTre
Ibix said:
(Lee Mack, I think) asked her "how she got like that"
No doubt she was too polite to reply "Because I wasn't born as thick-headed as you."

I guess she (and Suzie Dent) must be getting quite a good salary to put up with the frequent crap they cop from Jimmy Carr.
 
What if I popped up here again? Wouldn't that be weird?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, WWGD and Borg
Char. Limit said:
What if I popped up here again? Wouldn't that be weird?
SAS Commando?
I missed out on that one, Welcome back!
 
pinball1970 said:
SAS Commando?
I missed out on that one, Welcome back!
Thank you! And thanks for the welcome from @WWGD and @Borg as well. It's been a good while but I'm glad to see you're doing well.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borg, WWGD and pinball1970
Char. Limit said:
It's been a good while

I looked at your last post. It was 6 years ago. Going to hang out for a while?
 
Borg said:
I looked at your last post. It was 6 years ago. Going to hang out for a while?
I'll try for six years presence to make up for six years absence, how's that sound? :wink:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and Borg
Char. Limit said:
What if I popped up here again? Wouldn't that be weird?
Holy moly, Char. Good to see you back!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Char. Limit
fresh_42 said:
?
Been a member long enough to know how he/she/it is supposed to frame questions/inquiries/requests for assistance.
 
Bystander said:
Been a member long enough to know how he/she/it is supposed to frame questions/inquiries/requests for assistance.
I'm with fresh on this one. What is the specific issue? If there is a problem you would use the Report link, no?
 
Bystander said:
...,plus pick something other than "Advanced."
Yes, when I first saw it I almost moved it to Intro, but left it there for the time being. It will probably end up getting moved to Intro, modulo your response to fresh and me asking for clarification.

In German, our confustion with your post would be "No comprendo". Oh wait...
 
berkeman said:
Oh wait...
Yes...Windoze went AWOL, but back now.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
The saying " See you next time" is kindcof strange. See you next time...that I see you?
 
Dang Kansas heat. It's only 92 degrees F, but the humidity makes it feel like 110 degrees F. :oldcry:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and berkeman
On our left, lives concrete-loving family. They have a pavilion with a fixed grill: two garage: two cars: most of the area is buried in concrete.
On our right living an older garden-loving (kind of...) woman. Everything in order: not a piece of weed, hoed twice a week.

We are poor (kind of...). We have no cars, no award-winning garden - we have only our jungle: with birds, bats, stag beetles and fireflies :smile:
We just spent half a bottle of good wine watching the nighttime show o0)
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Tom.G and pinball1970
Rive said:
On our left, lives concrete-loving family. They have a pavilion with a fixed grill: two garage: two cars: most of the area is buried in concrete.
On our right living an older garden-loving (kind of...) woman. Everything in order: not a piece of weed, hoed twice a week.

We are poor (kind of...). We have no cars, no award-winning garden - we have only our jungle: with birds, bats, stag beetles and fireflies :smile:
We just spent half a bottle of good wine watching the nighttime show o0)
Sounds good. Sunday is Columbo day till 9pm then Blacklist.
I check pf here and there but generally have a lazy day. Cooler tonight.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Rive and collinsmark
My coffe has just exploded inside the microwave! :D
The interesting point is, i have heated it and let it rest inside the microwave for about 2 minutes (after the heating has ended), and so it explodes! Could i finally have achieved the superheating state of coffe?
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
Having tried teaching myself theoretical mathematics several times, it's simply not feasible without a teacher. The definitions themselves are hard to understand, let alone applying them.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
Mayhem said:
Having tried teaching myself theoretical mathematics several times, it's simply not feasible without a teacher. The definitions themselves are hard to understand, let alone applying them.
Some here seem to be teaching themselves, with other members as teachers. But, true, having someone to teach you in person would be better.
 
Mayhem said:
Having tried teaching myself theoretical mathematics several times, it's simply not feasible without a teacher. The definitions themselves are hard to understand, let alone applying them.
This depends on so many things, esp. the subject.
 
WWGD said:
Some here seem to be teaching themselves, with other members as teachers. But, true, having someone to teach you in person would be better.

Mayhem said:
Having tried teaching myself theoretical mathematics several times, it's simply not feasible without a teacher. The definitions themselves are hard to understand, let alone applying them.
Perhaps if you gave the guys some more information?
What level are you at? Get to at school?
Maths is a big subject, which area are you interested in?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
pinball1970 said:
Perhaps if you gave the guys some more information?
What level are you at? Get to at school?
Maths is a big subject, which area are you interested in?
Theoretical statistics, undergraduate chemistry. Pretty solid grasp on applied maths, but my rigor is non-existent.