What is the optimal package volume for UPS?

In summary: So if I do that, I get v' = -8x^2 + 165, and the maximum is 165/16 = x. So the largest volume package that UPS will accept is a cube with dimensions 165/16 x 165/16 x 165/16, which simplifies to 10.3125 x 10.3125 x 10.3125 inches. In summary, the largest volume package that UPS will accept is a cube with dimensions 165/16 x 165/16 x 165/16, which simplifies to 10.3125 x 10.3125 x 10.3125 inches. This is found by setting the perimeter of the package equal to
bowniski

Homework Statement

UPS will only accept packages with a length of no more than 108 inches and length plus girth of no more than 165 inches. Assumign that the front face of the package is square, what is the largest volume package that UPS will accept?

Assuming the package looks like this,
http://imgur.com/4FeLW

Homework Equations

Girth = perimeter of the face (4x)

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I got these two equations:

Volume: V = (x2)(y)
y [tex]\leq[/tex] 108
y + 4x [tex]\leq[/tex] 165

How do I solve this from here? I tried to solve for X by moving 4x to the other side, then setting them equal but it didnt seem to work!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Next step is to change the second line to y + 4x = 165 (together with the obvious constraint 0 =< 4x =< 165).

Outlined said:
Next step is to change the second line to y + 4x = 165 (together with the obvious constraint 0 =< 4x =< 165).

Thanks for the reply!

Okay, why do you assume that y+4x = 165? Is it because that's the highest value possible?

In any case, if I do that:

y+4x = 165
y = 165-4x

v = (x^2)(165-4x)
v = 165x^2 - 4x^3
v' = -12x^2 + 165x

Did I do this right? If so, should I just find the maximum of v' and that would be my answer for x?

With that, the maximum is 55/8 = x

there is an error in v', you missed 2 * 165

Think yourself about why it is smart to put y + 4x = 165. Would a solution which does NOT hit the 165 be an optimal solution (as there is room for x and y to be bigger, as you did not hit the 165)??

Outlined said:
there is an error in v', you missed 2 * 165

Think yourself about why it is smart to put y + 4x = 165. Would a solution which does NOT hit the 165 be an optimal solution (as there is room for x and y to be bigger, as you did not hit the 165)??

Oh true, that was silly of me to ask! Haha! Thanks for the correction, I didn't see that.

Related to What is the optimal package volume for UPS?

What is an optimization problem?

An optimization problem is a mathematical or computational problem that involves finding the best possible solution for a given set of constraints. The goal is to maximize or minimize an objective function while satisfying the constraints.

What are the different types of optimization problems?

There are several types of optimization problems, including linear programming, nonlinear programming, integer programming, and combinatorial optimization. Each type has its own set of techniques and algorithms for finding the optimal solution.

What is the role of optimization in science?

Optimization plays a crucial role in science as it allows researchers to find the best possible solution to a problem. It is used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science to improve processes, design experiments, and make predictions.

What are some common techniques for solving optimization problems?

Some common techniques for solving optimization problems include gradient descent, genetic algorithms, simulated annealing, and branch and bound. These techniques use different approaches to search for the optimal solution and are often combined to improve the efficiency of the solution.

What are some real-life examples of optimization problems?

Optimization problems can be found in many real-life situations, such as optimizing the production process in a factory, scheduling routes for delivery trucks, maximizing profits for a business, and designing efficient transportation networks. They are also used in fields such as medicine, agriculture, and logistics to improve processes and decision-making.