What is the origin of plasmids?

• Thread starter jaumzaum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Origin
In summary, plasmids, like mitochondria, have their own genetic material and are capable of self-replication.
jaumzaum
As I understand it, plasmids, like mitochondria, have their own genetic material and are capable of self-replication.

According to Wikipedia: Plasmids are considered replicons, units of DNA capable of replicating autonomously within a suitable host. However, like viruses, they are not classified as life. Plasmids are transmitted from one bacterium to another through conjugation. Unlike viruses, plasmids are "naked" DNA. However, some classes of plasmids encode the conjugative "sex" pilus necessary for their own transfer.

My understanding of that is that a bacteria gets their plasmids not because of the replication of their circular chromosome, nor because that chromosome have genes to code for the plasmid (I don't really know if that's possible), but because of the self-replication of their own plasmids.

So, my question is how the first plasmid got into the first bacteria, if they are not in their chromosomes? Were they a virus other prokaryotic cell that had circular DNA, and got phagocytosed by that bacteria ?

Biology news on Phys.org
jaumzaum said:
As I understand it, plasmids, like mitochondria, have their own genetic material and are capable of self-replication.

According to Wikipedia: Plasmids are considered replicons, units of DNA capable of replicating autonomously within a suitable host. However, like viruses, they are not classified as life. Plasmids are transmitted from one bacterium to another through conjugation. Unlike viruses, plasmids are "naked" DNA. However, some classes of plasmids encode the conjugative "sex" pilus necessary for their own transfer.

My understanding of that is that a bacteria gets their plasmids not because of the replication of their circular chromosome, nor because that chromosome have genes to code for the plasmid (I don't really know if that's possible), but because of the self-replication of their own plasmids.

So, my question is how the first plasmid got into the first bacteria, if they are not in their chromosomes? Were they a virus other prokaryotic cell that had circular DNA, and got phagocytosed by that bacteria ?
Originally from another prokaryote I would have thought as per the mitochondria

jaumzaum said:

A quick search has given me a few things but they are quite old.
One from Leeuwenhoek 1998
What have you found?

IMHO, the recent discovery of mega-viruses, including some with size and/or genetics bigger than small bacteria, suggests 'Life' definition needs to be loosened.

Is pollen alive ? Not without a female flower. So, akin to a virus or phage...
Spores ? Yes, as self contained...

Tricky.
Looks like the origins of 'life as we know it' were even more of a 'free for all' orgy than 'tis yet comfortable to admit.

Modern parallel may be 'lichen', which is, wiki-quote, 'a composite organism that emerges from algae or cyanobacteria living among the filaments (hyphae) of the fungi in a mutually beneficial symbiotic relationship.'

IIRC, recent research suggests many lichens have a third, previously unsuspected team-member, yeast. This is also a fungi, but has evolved a rather different life-style...

Whatever, IIRC, several lichens' components seem well along to losing their independence, discarding 'surplus' genetic function, perhaps evolving towards what far future might consider akin to 'plasmids'...
;-)

What is the origin of plasmids?

Plasmids are small, circular pieces of DNA that exist independently from the chromosomal DNA in bacteria and some other organisms. They are believed to have originated from ancient bacteria, and have been found in a wide range of species, including bacteria, archaea, and even some eukaryotic cells.

How do plasmids replicate?

Plasmids replicate independently from the host cell's chromosomal DNA. They have their own origin of replication and can be copied by enzymes within the cell. This allows for the plasmid to be passed on to daughter cells during cell division.

What is the function of plasmids?

Plasmids can serve a variety of functions, including providing antibiotic resistance, aiding in DNA repair, and carrying genes for specialized functions such as the production of toxins or the ability to metabolize certain compounds. They can also be used in genetic engineering and biotechnology.

How do plasmids transfer between cells?

Plasmids can transfer between cells through several mechanisms, such as conjugation, transformation, and transduction. Conjugation involves direct cell-to-cell contact, while transformation and transduction involve the uptake of genetic material from the environment or from a virus, respectively.

Can plasmids be harmful?

While plasmids can provide beneficial functions for the host cell, they can also carry genes that can be harmful. For example, plasmids can carry genes for antibiotic resistance, making bacteria more difficult to treat. They can also carry genes for toxins or virulence factors, making the bacteria more pathogenic.