What is the Output Force of a Wheel Axle?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 3K views
NatalieWise123
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


You apply a force of 17 N to a wheel with a radius of 0.75 m. If the axle has a radius of 6 cm, what is the output force, assuming the machine operates under ideal conditions?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I don't even know how to begin to begin this. Help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
NatalieWise123 said:
I don't even know how to begin to begin this. Help!
What do you know about angular momentum?
 
TeethWhitener said:
What do you know about angular momentum?

Angular Momentum= mass*velocity*radius
 
Isaac0427 said:
Begin with thinking about all the equations you were given in class.

I'm thinking it has something to do with Idea Mechanical Advantage which is output/input I believe.
 
TeethWhitener said:
How about torque? (I probably should have said torque in my first post)

We haven't learned that yet
 
Hmm. Ok. It is about mechanical advantage. It's just a little easier to understand if you know about torque. No big deal. But gimme a sec to think about how to explain the problem without torque.
 
You can think of the setup like a lever, with each arm being a radius and the fulcrum being the shared center of rotation (axis). Surely you've covered simple machines like levers?

Fig1.png
 
TeethWhitener said:
Have you gone over concepts such as angular velocity yet?

In a really general sense. I understand it though.
 
gneill said:
You can think of the setup like a lever, with each arm being a radius and the fulcrum being the shared center of rotation (axis). Surely you've covered simple machines like levers?

View attachment 91966

Sort of. Would output force be F2?
 
NatalieWise123 said:
Sort of. Would output force be F2?
Sure. For a lever, which end is "input" and which is "output" is your choice based on the situation at hand. Base your choice on the scenario presented in the problem statement.
 
gneill's picture is probably much better help than anything I could put into words.