What is the Phase Constant in an Inelastic Collision with a Spring?

• Thread starter notabigfan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a collision between two masses, one attached to a spring. The question is about the location of the masses 3 seconds after the collision. Momentum is conserved during the collision, but energy is not. The next step is to calculate the velocity of the stuck-together masses using conservation of momentum and then use SHM equations to find their location after 3 seconds. The phase constant (ø) is found by considering the direction and velocity at t=0.
notabigfan
I have struggled with this question. I don't understand what do especially that the question says inelastic but there is a spring.

A mass of 12 kg is sliding along a frictionless surface at a speed of 5 m/s.
It collides perfectly inelastically with a stationary mass of 24 kg which is attached to
a spring. If the spring constant is 225 N/m, where are the stuck-together masses 3
seconds after the collision?

I know momentum before collision is 12*5= 60

But I don't know what to do from here ... I know momentum has to be conserved but not energy but I am having trouble understanding what can the next step be.

I hope someone can help me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're correct that momentum is conserved, but not energy during the collision, but after they collide, the energy of the spring plus the kinetic energy of the stuck-together masses is conserved.
Calculate the velocity of the stuck-together masses from conservation of momentum and go from there.

Well, so (m1+m2)v2 = initial momentum but what happens to energy? or shall I just say that v2 will stay the same and then multiply it by 3 seconds to get the distance ? Why does the question give info about the spring then?

notabigfan said:
shall I just say that v2 will stay the same ?
No, certainly not. Momentum conservation gives you the speed immediately after collision. From there it's just a mass compressing a spring. Taking it to be perfectly elastic, that's SHM. Write out the SHM equation and plug in the initial conditions.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
No, certainly not. Momentum conservation gives you the speed immediately after collision. From there it's just a mass compressing a spring. Taking it to be perfectly elastic, that's SHM. Write out the SHM equation and plug in the initial conditions.

Thank you ! For some reason it didn't click for me that SHM occurs next. I have one more problem though. I find it very challenging to find the phase constant (Φ0) can you please tell me how to find it in this case. It looks like zero to me because the spring was neither streched nor compressed. Is that right?

The velocity you calculated was the max velocity for the SHM. From that and the angular frequency of the oscillator, you should be able to find the amplitude and the phase angle.

notabigfan said:
Thank you ! For some reason it didn't click for me that SHM occurs next. I have one more problem though. I find it very challenging to find the phase constant (Φ0) can you please tell me how to find it in this case. It looks like zero to me because the spring was neither streched nor compressed. Is that right?
The phase will depend on whether you write the canonical SHM equation using sine or cosine. Also, t=0 is defined here at the lowest point, not at the midpoint.

haruspex said:
The phase will depend on whether you write the canonical SHM equation using sine or cosine. Also, t=0 is defined here at the lowest point, not at the midpoint.

Alright, I usually use the expression x=Acos(ωt+ø) How do I find the phase constant in this case?

haruspex said:
Also, t=0 is defined here at the lowest point, not at the midpoint.
Cancel that - I was confusing two threads.
notabigfan said:
Alright, I usually use the expression x=Acos(ωt+ø) How do I find the phase constant in this case?
Where it hits the spring will be the midpoint of the oscillation, right? So that is x = 0. If you take that as t=0, you have an equation regarding the phase. There is still some ambiguity, which you resolve by thinking about which direction you are taking as positive, and what the sign of the velocity is at t = 0.

Related to What is the Phase Constant in an Inelastic Collision with a Spring?

What is inelastic collision?

Inelastic collision is a type of collision in which two objects collide and stick together after impact, resulting in a loss of kinetic energy.

What are the key differences between inelastic and elastic collisions?

The main difference between inelastic and elastic collisions is that in inelastic collisions, kinetic energy is not conserved, while in elastic collisions, kinetic energy is conserved.

What factors affect the degree of inelasticity in a collision?

The degree of inelasticity in a collision is affected by factors such as the materials and shapes of the objects involved, the velocity of the objects, and the angle at which they collide.

Can an inelastic collision result in a perfectly inelastic outcome?

Yes, inelastic collisions can result in a perfectly inelastic outcome, in which the objects stick together and move as a single unit after the collision.

How is momentum conserved in an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, although kinetic energy is not conserved, momentum is still conserved. This means that the total momentum of the objects before and after the collision remains the same.