What is the physical origin of gain in a BJT?

In summary, the transistor has a gain due to the fact that the collector current is much smaller than the emitter current.
atlbraves49

Homework Statement

"What is the physical origin of gain in a BJT?"

I can figure out gain using gain equations but am having a hard time describing the physical origin of gain in a BJT.. can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of a valve. How do you leverage the characteristics of the BJT to input a small signal and get a much larger signal at the output?

Bear in mind that despite the notion of a "gain" relative to desginated inputs and outputs, conservation of current still holds here. Are you asking how exactly do the semiconductor physics of the BJT cause a "gain" in output?

Defennder said:
Bear in mind that despite the notion of a "gain" relative to desginated inputs and outputs, conservation of current still holds here. Are you asking how exactly do the semiconductor physics of the BJT cause a "gain" in output?

correct, that is what I'm asking.

I'll try to be rather brief in my explanation (it took me a while to understand BJT's and I'm still working on it.)

The key is that the emitter is doped very heavily compared to the collector and base. So most of the conductors are "created" at the emitter node. (electrons for npn types, or holes for pnp)

Also, the base node lies at the end of a very narrow thin path sandwiched between the emitter and collector. So most of the conductors from the emitter just "spill over" into the collector instead, as they try to make their way towards the base. Only a few conductors do make it to the base.

The result is that the base current is much smaller than the collector and emitter currents, hence the high gain given by the ratio
ic / ib

First of all, if that is what you're asking you should note that this isn't something which can be explained in a few short paragraphs. It would require equations, a lot of variables with subscripts along with accompanying concentration profile graphs and a fundamental (read: basic) understanding of p-n junctions and how they behave under forward and reverse bias.

In short, it's not something that can be done here. Moreover you didn't specify the mode of operation. There are 4 possible modes, and only two modes "forward-active" and "reverse-active" would yield a current gain. The forward-active mode is the much more commonly used one. Read up on the mechanism elsewhere. Personally I used Semiconductor Physics 3rd Edn by Donald Neamen.

Wikipedia has good info on this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BJT#Introduction

What is the physical origin of gain in a BJT?

The physical origin of gain in a BJT (Bipolar Junction Transistor) is the amplification of current due to the flow of majority charge carriers (electrons or holes) from the emitter to the collector, controlled by the minority charge carriers (holes or electrons) in the base region.

How does a BJT achieve amplification?

A BJT achieves amplification through the process of injecting minority carriers from the base to the collector, which leads to an increase in the majority carrier current from the emitter to the collector. This amplification is controlled by the base current, which acts as a small signal input.

What is the role of the base region in a BJT?

The base region in a BJT serves as a control element for the amplification process. It is very thin and lightly doped, allowing for easy control of the minority carriers and their movement between the emitter and collector regions. The base also acts as a barrier for majority carriers, preventing them from crossing over to the other region.

What is the difference between current gain and voltage gain in a BJT?

Current gain in a BJT refers to the amplification of the current flowing through the device, while voltage gain refers to the amplification of the voltage between two terminals. In a BJT, the current gain is typically higher than the voltage gain due to the nature of the device's operation.

What are the factors that affect the gain in a BJT?

The gain in a BJT is affected by factors such as the size and doping levels of the different regions, the material used, the temperature, and the external biasing applied to the device. These factors can impact the flow of majority and minority carriers, leading to changes in the amplification of current and voltage.