What is the Precession Frequency of a Rotating Bicycle Wheel?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
kiwikahuna
Messages
60
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A professor holds a bicycle wheel rotating at 402 rev/min by a string attached to a weightless axle 20 cm from the wheel. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. If all 7.5 kg of the wheel can be considered to be at its 53.6 cm radius, at what frequency in rpm does it precess?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Frequency=omega
I honestly am stumped with this problem but I was thinking of using a rotational kinematics equation to solve this.
The 402 rev/min can be converted to Omega initial. We can solved for Omega final using wf^2=wi^2 +2a(delta x).
Please help if you can!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok here's what I did.

(Mass of the wheel) * (Radius of the wheel)^2 (Omega given) - (Mass of the wheel)* (Length of the string)^2 * (Omega Unknown) = 0

(7.5 kg)(.536 m)^2(402 rev/min) - (7.5 kg) *(0.20 m)^2 * (Omega unknown) = 0

Is this the right to solve this problem? I feel as if I'm not getting/missing something.