What is the purpose of life if there is no inherent meaning?

• Thread starter david90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the author suggests that if you don't feel motivated to do anything, there may be a reason for that. The purpose of life is to have a wonderfully good time, and if you don't feel like you're living life to its fullest, it may be because you're not trying to find your purpose.
It seems dissatisfaction is the precursor to curiosity. Do we ask ourselves when we're having a good time with our significant other, 'why am I doing this'? Likely not, though you've probably asked yourself at work the same question. It seems intelligence, an intellectual sensitivity, can go hand in hand with dissatisfaction. But it's not the only one; there's plenty of factors.

If just being satisfied is being successful, then maybe we should strive to be as animals. To be content just fulfilling our basic needs instead of our insatiable need for intellectual stimulation. So if you view the purpose as just to be content, then maybe we need to rethink that view because the other animals seem to do it just as well, maybe better. Maybe we're an accident, the thing that should not be. Who knows? You'd think I'd grow out of asking myself this but as I mentioned, I think dissatisfaction in life is making me question this so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm in the exact same position as the OP. There is no purpose to life. We are born- why? Why did we have to be this conscious being? There's no answer to that, no-one can answer that. What should we do here on earth? Well, the first thing to sort out is whether we should live or not (to be, or not to be etc.). Only then can we talk about purpose. I haven't figured out any of these things myself, but, since others are recommending books, I can recommend "The Myth of Sisyphus" by Albert Camus.