What is the reason behind alternate answers to a locus problem.

In summary, the problem involves finding the locus of the mid-point of a line intersecting two given lines and the solution involves using the coordinates of the intersection point to derive the equation of the line AB. Using h and k as the coordinates of the mid-point, the locus is given as 2xy(a+b) = ab(x+y). However, if h/2 and k/2 are used, then the locus is given as xy(a+b) = ab(x+y). This is because the mid-point is defined differently and results in different substitutions for h and k.
JC2000
The problem :

A variable line, drawn through the point of intersection of the straight lines ##(x/a)+(y/b) = 1## and ##(x/b)+(y/a)=1##, meets the coordinate axes in A & B . We have to Show that the locus of the mid point of AB is the curve ##2xy(a + b) = ab(x + y)##.

The solution :

Let ##(h, k)## be the coordinates of the mid-point of the line ##AB##, then it will intersect the coordinate axes at the points ##A(2h, 0)## & ##B(0, 2k)## respectively hence line ##AB## has x-intercept ##2h## & y-intercept ##2k##,

Now, the equation of the line ##AB## is given using the intercept form as $$\frac{x}{2h}+\frac{y}{2k}=1\tag 1$$

Now, since the line ##AB## passes through the intersection of the lines: ##\frac{x}{a}+\frac{y}{b}=1## & ##\frac{x}{b}+\frac{y}{a}=1## hence the coordinates of the intersection point are ##\left(\frac{ab}{a+b}, \frac{ab}{a+b}\right)## which can be substituted into (1),

$$\frac{\frac{ab}{a+b}}{2h}+\frac{\frac{ab}{a+b}}{2k}=1$$
$$\frac{1}{h}+\frac{1}{k}=\frac{2(a+b)}{ab}$$
or $$\frac{h+k}{hk}=\frac{2(a+b)}{ab}$$
or $$2hk(a+b)=ab(h+k)$$ Now, substitute ##h=x## & ##k=y## in the above equation, the locus of the mid-point of line ##AB##
is given as follows $$\color{red}{2xy(a+b)=ab(x+y)}$$

My Question :

If the problem is attempted using ##(h/2,k/2)## as the coordinates of the mid-point of ##AB## then the result is as follows :$$\color{red}{xy(a+b)=ab(x+y)}$$ (if I use ##h=x## and ##y=k##.

I am unable to get my head around why ##x=2h## and ##y=2k## in this scenario?

Physics news on Phys.org
JC2000 said:
(if I use ##h=x## and ##y=k##
That is not the mid-point !

My understanding at the moment is this :

Since the locus is 'defined' by the mid-point, which in the first case is (h,k) and hence h and k are directly replaced by x and y. While for the second case the mid point is (h/2,k/2) and hence x replaces h/2 and y replaces k/2.

Is this correct? Apologies for the trivial questions.

Correct! x replaces h/2 and not: ##h = x## as you wrote

Likes JC2000

1. What is a locus problem?

A locus problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding all the points that satisfy a given condition or set of conditions. These points form a geometric shape or curve, known as a locus.

2. Why are there alternate answers to a locus problem?

Alternate answers to a locus problem occur because there may be multiple points or solutions that satisfy the given conditions. This can happen when the locus is a complex shape or when the given conditions are not specific enough to determine a unique solution.

3. How can I determine which answer is correct in a locus problem?

In order to determine the correct answer in a locus problem, it is important to carefully analyze the given conditions and consider all possible solutions. It may also be helpful to sketch the locus and visually determine which points satisfy the given conditions.

4. Can a locus problem have no solutions?

Yes, it is possible for a locus problem to have no solutions. This can occur when the given conditions are contradictory or impossible to satisfy, or when the locus is a complex shape that does not intersect with the given conditions.

5. Are there any strategies for solving locus problems?

Yes, there are several strategies that can be used to solve locus problems, such as using algebraic equations, graphing the locus, or using geometric constructions. It is also important to carefully analyze the given conditions and consider all possible solutions.