What is the relation between width and power of rect patch antenna?

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with controlling the power ratio of their series array antenna. They have heard that there is a relationship between the width of the rectangular patch antenna and the power ratio. The speaker has professional experience designing antennas but is not familiar with this terminology. They are designing a 6x1 series fed rectangular patch antenna and are trying to achieve a low side lobe level. They have used dolph-chebyshev array to obtain some coefficients, but they are unsure of their meaning and how to apply them to the antenna. The other person in the conversation suggests using a power divider/attenuator network instead of changing the size of the patch to reduce side lobes. The speaker thanks them for their help.
everjordan
Hi, all

I want to control the power ratio of my series array antenna.

I heard there is some relation between width of rectangular patch antenna and power
to control the power ratio.

I want to know..

Do you know some relation?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is a series array antenna?

What is a power ratio?

I have professional experience designing antennas but I am not familiar with this terminology.

Series array antenna means series fed antenna.
I mis choose the words.
I'm not good at english.

I'm designing 6x1 series fed rectangular patch antenna.
And I want to obtain low side lobe level.
But my design result is poor.
So, I use dolph-chebyshev array.
And, I obtain some coefficient.
But I don't know the meaning of these coefficient.
I think these coefficent are related to the power.
And, I heard the power is related to the width of patch antenna.
So, I use the word power ratio.

No, the size and shape are related to the frequency and bandwidth. There is an upper power limit for an any antenna but I'm sure you aren't there yet.

What's your frequency, bandwidth, directivity, polarization, and input power? If all you want is more power, just crank up the input power.

Thank you for reply my problem.
I am designing my antenna using Hfss11.
Im only focus on realized gain to inrease the sidelobe level at phi=90. and main beam is located between 0 and 5 degree.
Operating frequency is 26Ghz.
Ok. Anyway.. What is the meaning of dolph-chebyshev coefficent?
Until now, I think it is related width of patch antenna.
How I apply these coefficient to my antenna? I really don't know.

It means if you adjust the amplitude of each patch by the array coefficient it will reduce your side-lobes the way you want.

You don't do this by changing the size of the patch, you do it with a power divider/attenuator network feeding the patches.

Really?
I think if I adjust the size of each patch, it will reduce side lobes...
Okay.. Thank you!

Related to What is the relation between width and power of rect patch antenna?

What is the relation between width and power of rect patch antenna?

The relation between width and power of a rectangular patch antenna is complex and depends on several factors such as the dielectric material, substrate thickness, and operating frequency. Generally, increasing the width of the patch antenna will lead to an increase in power handling capability, but there is no linear relationship between the two.

How does the width of a rect patch antenna affect its bandwidth?

The width of a rectangular patch antenna plays a crucial role in determining its bandwidth. A wider antenna will have a broader bandwidth, allowing it to operate over a wider range of frequencies. This is because a wider antenna can support multiple resonant modes, leading to a wider frequency response.

Does increasing the width of a rect patch antenna improve its radiation efficiency?

In general, increasing the width of a rectangular patch antenna can improve its radiation efficiency. This is because a wider antenna can support more current flow, resulting in a stronger electromagnetic field and better radiation. However, other factors such as substrate material and antenna design also play a significant role in determining the radiation efficiency.

What is the optimal width for a rect patch antenna?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question as the optimal width for a rectangular patch antenna depends on the specific application and design goals. In general, a wider antenna will have a broader bandwidth and higher power handling capability, but it may also be physically larger and more challenging to integrate into a system. It is essential to consider all factors and optimize the antenna design for the specific application.

How does the width of a rect patch antenna affect its directivity?

The width of a rectangular patch antenna has a direct impact on its directivity. A wider antenna will have a higher directivity as it can support more resonant modes, leading to a stronger and more focused radiation pattern. However, it is essential to balance the directivity with other design considerations, such as bandwidth and efficiency, to achieve the desired performance for a specific application.