What is the relation of infimalistic math to calculus?

In summary, the speaker previously received help in solving all types of calculus questions in a previous course, without learning about "infimalistic math". However, in their current course, the lecturer informed them that they will encounter normal questions and proofs, each of which will be based on the types of questions they already know. The speaker questions the need for "infimalistic math", which may refer to "non-standard" analysis, a branch of mathematics that extends the real number system to include "infinite numbers" and "infinitesimal numbers". However, it is not necessary to know this for practical applications as all results in "non-standard" analysis are also true in "standard" analysis. The speaker also mentions terms like SUP and INF
transgalactic
in my previous course i solved(with your help) every type of calculus question
without hearing or reading on infimalistic math.

now i am doing this course
and i talked to the lecturer and he told me that
in this course i have the normal questions and proofs
but each proof question comes from each type of question that i already know.

so why do i need infimalistic math?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is "infimalistic math"??

"Infimalistic"? Do you mean "infinitesmal"? You may be referring to "non-standard" analysis which begins by extending the real number system to include both "infinite numbers" and "infinitesmal numbers". That allows one to say, for example, that if y= x2, then y+ dy= (x+ dx)2= x2+ 2xdx+ (dx)2 so dy= 2xdx+ dx2 and dy/dx= 2x+ dx. By the laws of arithmetic that have to be introduced to deal with "infinitesmal" and "infinite" numbers, dy/dx, the ratio of two "infinitesmal" numbers is a "regular" number while on the right, the sum 2x+ dx, of a "regular" number and a while dx is "infinitesmal" so their sum is just 2x: dy/dx= 2x.

There are no results in "non-standard" analysis that are not true in "standard" analysis so you don't need to know "non-standard" analysis for applications.

the are therms like SUP and INF which i am required to know in this course
is that part of "non-standard" analysis("infinitesmal math")?

FAQ: What is the relation of infimalistic math to calculus?

1. What is infimalistic math?

Infimalistic math, also known as non-standard analysis, is a mathematical theory that provides an alternative approach to calculus by using infinitesimals, which are quantities that are infinitely small but non-zero. It was first developed by mathematician Abraham Robinson in the 1960s.

2. How is infimalistic math related to calculus?

Infimalistic math is a foundational theory that extends the principles of calculus and provides a rigorous framework for dealing with infinitesimals. It can be seen as a more intuitive and natural way of understanding calculus concepts, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals.

3. What are some key differences between infimalistic math and traditional calculus?

One of the main differences is that infimalistic math allows for the use of infinitesimals, while traditional calculus does not. Infimalistic math also has a more rigorous approach to defining and working with limits, which leads to a more unified and simplified theory.

4. How is infimalistic math applied in real-world situations?

Infimalistic math has various applications in physics, economics, and engineering, among other fields. It provides a powerful tool for modeling and analyzing complex systems with continuously changing quantities, such as motion, population growth, and financial markets.

5. Is infimalistic math widely accepted in the mathematical community?

Infimalistic math has gained popularity and acceptance among mathematicians, with many universities offering courses and conducting research in this field. However, it is still considered a non-standard approach to calculus and is not yet fully integrated into mainstream mathematics.