1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the relation of infimalistic math to calculus?

1. Nov 19, 2008 #1
    in my previous course i solved(with your help) every type of calculus question
    without hearing or reading on infimalistic math.

now i am doing this course
    and i talked to the lecturer and he told me that
    in this course i have the normal questions and proofs
    but each proof question comes from each type of question that i already know.

so why do i need infimalistic math?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2008 #2
    What is "infimalistic math"??

4. Nov 19, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Infimalistic"? Do you mean "infinitesmal"? You may be referring to "non-standard" analysis which begins by extending the real number system to include both "infinite numbers" and "infinitesmal numbers". That allows one to say, for example, that if y= x2, then y+ dy= (x+ dx)2= x2+ 2xdx+ (dx)2 so dy= 2xdx+ dx2 and dy/dx= 2x+ dx. By the laws of arithmetic that have to be introduced to deal with "infinitesmal" and "infinite" numbers, dy/dx, the ratio of two "infinitesmal" numbers is a "regular" number while on the right, the sum 2x+ dx, of a "regular" number and a while dx is "infinitesmal" so their sum is just 2x: dy/dx= 2x.

There are no results in "non-standard" analysis that are not true in "standard" analysis so you don't need to know "non-standard" analysis for applications.

5. Nov 19, 2008 #4
    the are therms like SUP and INF which i am required to know in this course
    is that part of "non-standard" analysis("infinitesmal math")?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?