What is the relationship between enthalpy of formation and temperature?

In summary, the hydrogen ion concentration of an acid in solution depends on temperature due to the shift in equilibria and changes in the self-ionization constant Kw. The Van't Hoff's equation can be used to determine the relationship between temperature and equilibrium constant. While ΔH is typically negative, it can vary depending on the chemical system. Density changes in water do not account for the variation in Kw with temperature.
joeyjo100
I have been told that the hydrogen ion concentration of an acid in solution depends on temperature.

What exactly is this relationship?

Is there a formal equation that relates [H+] and temperature, as well as any other physical variables that may have an effect?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well, hydrogen ion concentration in water is described by a set of equilibria. Each equilibrium is characterized by an equilibrium "constant", which is defined at a set of standard conditions called the thermodynamic standard state (1 atm pressure, 25°C, 1 M concentration, etc). As you move away from those specific conditions, all of the equilibria will shift.

So, in order to write an equation for [H+] and determine it's temperature dependence, you need to specify the system you are working with. For example, if you are just considering the autoprotolysis of pure water, you have:

H2O --> H+ + OH- Kw=[H+][OH-]=10-14 at 25°C. So we have [H+]=[OH-]=10-1.

However at 100°C autoprotolysis equilibrium shifts toward the products, with Kw=10-12, so [H+] and [OH-] are each an order of magnitude larger.

If you have a more complicated chemical system involving acids and/or bases, the behavior will be different, but the shift in [H+] with temperature can still often be predicted, at least qualitatively.

ΔG = RTlnK

As you can see, there is relationship between free energy, temperature, and the equilibrium constant.

Yes, self-ionization constant Kw changes with temperature. Becaus Kw=10^-14 at rtp, and ΔG=-RT ln K=ΔH-TΔS. Then the relationship is written as the Van't Hoff's equation which is ln(K2/K1)=-(ΔH/R)(1/T2-1/T1). ΔH is always negative then when T2>T1 then the right side is negative K1>K2. Which means K is smaller at higher temp. then there are less ions in the solution at higher temperature. Both [H+] [OH-] would decrease.

PS I always make mistakes please check, before doing work.

Note: this is more complicated than just a Kw, as OP asked about acid solution. Ka of a particular acid doesn't have to grow with temperature, so I can imagine a solution in which Ka goes down while Kw goes up, and in effect pH stays constant in some temperature range (or grows, or goes down).

ZealScience said:
Yes, self-ionization constant Kw changes with temperature. Becaus Kw=10^-14 at rtp, and ΔG=-RT ln K=ΔH-TΔS. Then the relationship is written as the Van't Hoff's equation which is ln(K2/K1)=-(ΔH/R)(1/T2-1/T1). ΔH is always negative then when T2>T1 then the right side is negative K1>K2. Which means K is smaller at higher temp. then there are less ions in the solution at higher temperature. Both [H+] [OH-] would decrease.

PS I always make mistakes please check, before doing work.

You have made a mistake again. :wink: Why would you say that ΔH is always negative? ΔH is the change in enthalpy associated with a given process. So let's assume that ΔH *is* actually negative for some chemical reaction ... what would the sign on ΔH be for the reverse reaction?

Doesn't Kw change with temperature simply because the density of water changes with temperature.

As far as my knowledge stretches, the constant of Kw at room temperature arises from the equilibrium of the auto ionisation of water. Because the concentration of water is always constant, this was combined into the equilibrium constant of the process to form the new constant, Kw.

But surely this only holds at one temperature, as the assumption is that the concentration of water is constant due to its density of 1 gram per millilitre.

So when temperature increases, the density of water changes. Is not not where the variation of the value for Kw comes from?

joeyjo100 said:
Doesn't Kw change with temperature simply because the density of water changes with temperature.

Nice idea, but it doesn't hold water. Density changes are much smaller than Kw changes.

SpectraCat said:
You have made a mistake again. :wink: Why would you say that ΔH is always negative? ΔH is the change in enthalpy associated with a given process. So let's assume that ΔH *is* actually negative for some chemical reaction ... what would the sign on ΔH be for the reverse reaction?

Sorry, I'm not quite sure, but I think ΔH here is the enthalpy of formation. Then the reverse reaction is no longer formation. So I mean enthalpy of formation is negative, because free energy of formation is calculated using ΔH formation. But I'm not quite sure whether using enthalpy change of formation is appropriate or not.

1. How does temperature affect acid strength?

The strength of an acid is directly proportional to temperature. As temperature increases, the molecules of the acid gain more energy and move faster, causing them to dissociate more easily and release more hydrogen ions, making the acid stronger.

2. What is the effect of temperature on the pH of an acidic solution?

As the temperature increases, the pH of an acidic solution decreases. This is because more hydrogen ions are released at higher temperatures, making the solution more acidic.

3. How does temperature affect the rate of acid-base reactions?

The rate of acid-base reactions increases with an increase in temperature. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the reactant molecules to collide and react, leading to a faster reaction rate.

4. Can temperature affect the equilibrium constant of an acid-base reaction?

Yes, temperature can affect the equilibrium constant of an acid-base reaction. As temperature increases, the equilibrium shifts towards the products, leading to an increase in the equilibrium constant. This is because the forward reaction is endothermic (heat-absorbing), and increasing the temperature favors the endothermic reaction.

5. How does temperature affect the solubility of acids in water?

The solubility of acids in water generally increases with an increase in temperature. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the solvent molecules to break the bonds between the solute molecules, leading to a higher solubility.