What is the Relationship Between Fan Blade Size and Energy Transfer in Fans?

In summary, the fan blades transfer momentum to the air, which in turn transfers it to the motor. The rate at which momentum is transferred to the air is proportional to the radius of the fan blades, the thrust on the motor, and the density of the air. There is a conflict between the answers to parts ii and iii of the question.
johnconnor

Homework Statement

Fan blades of radius r are mounted directly on the axle of a d.c. electric motor. assuming that the fan imparts a velocity v to a cylinder of air of radius equal to that of the blades, and that the density of the air is ρ, obtain expressions for:

i. the rate at which momentum is transferred to the air
ii. the thrust on the motor
iii. the rate of working of the motor
iv. the rate at which kinetic energy is supplied to the air

Comment on any apparent conflict between your answers.

The Attempt at a Solution

i. ∏r2 . v . ρ . v
explanation: rate of supply of mass x velocity of air imparted

ii. ∏r2ρv
explanation: since thrust = force (Newton's third law)

iii. ∏r2ρv . v
explanation: rate at which momentum is transferred to air x distance traveled by the momentum per second

iv. The answer is half that of iii. Could anyone please explain to me why? Does it have anything to do with the centre of "mass" of the air cylinder pushed? Something like "half the amount of energy the cylinder of air gains becomes the potential energy"? It doesn't really make sense to me.

Please help. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
By analogy, look at an object, initially at rest, being pushed on a frictionless surface by a constant force F over a distance d. Say the force is applied for time t.

F * t = m * v Impulse is change in momemtum

F = m*v/t

F*d = m*v*d/t now its work done by force F

F*d/t = m*v*d/t^2 now it is power

If the force is constant, the acceleration is constant

d = (a * t^2)/2 = v*t/2

Plug into RHS

F*d/t = (m*v^2)/2

LHS is power, RHS is KE.

Thanks LawrenceC! Could you please confirm whether my explanations for the first 3 parts of the question acceptable?

"i. ∏r2ρv
explanation: since thrust = force (Newton's third law)"

Check units. If you are seeking force, your units do not provide force. Thrust (force) equals the change in momentum. F = rho*Q*V, where Q = V*A assuming initial V is zero.

Rate of working of motor - I assume this means power. Force multiplied by velocity is power.

Yup you're right. The answers I had for parts ii and iii were wrong. Thanks for clarifying.

Related to What is the Relationship Between Fan Blade Size and Energy Transfer in Fans?

What is the importance of energy supply in fans?

The energy supply of fans is crucial as it determines the efficiency and performance of the fan. Without an adequate energy supply, the fan will not be able to circulate air effectively, resulting in poor ventilation and cooling.

What are the different types of energy sources for fans?

The most common energy sources for fans are electricity, solar power, and batteries. Some fans also have the option for manual energy supply through hand-cranking or pedal power. The type of energy source used will depend on the specific application and availability of resources.

How does the energy supply affect the air circulation of fans?

The energy supply is directly related to the air circulation of fans. The more energy supplied to the fan, the faster it will rotate, resulting in greater air circulation. Conversely, a lower energy supply will result in slower fan rotation and less air circulation.

What are the factors that affect the energy supply of fans?

The primary factor that affects the energy supply of fans is the type and capacity of the energy source. Other factors include the design and efficiency of the fan, as well as any external factors such as temperature or humidity that may impact the performance of the energy source.

How can the energy supply of fans be optimized for maximum efficiency?

To optimize the energy supply of fans, it is essential to choose an energy source that is suitable for the specific application and to regularly maintain and service the fan. Additionally, using energy-efficient fans and implementing energy-saving practices such as turning off the fan when not in use can also help maximize efficiency.