What is the Relationship Between Side Length and Area in a Square?

In summary, the conversation discusses related rates problems involving finding dA/dt and dV/dt, using the fact dA/dt = (dA/dP)(dP/dt). The conversation also addresses a mistake in calculating dV/dt and the correct way to calculate it using differentials. The experts provide helpful explanations and tips for solving these types of problems.
sonofjohn
IM000002.jpg

I hope I got 8 and 9 right. I am however stuck on 10. I can't seem to figure out how to convert x or a side to perimeter and represent the change in area with respect to time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Now that I look at it If I solve for da/dt I should get 2x and if I plug the constant rate increase of one side "x" in I get .8 And since the Perimiter is just all 4 sides added up I should get a forth of the x or .2 (b).

Are you familiar with other related rates problems? You are given dx/dt and need to find dA/dt. Use the fact that dA/dt = (dA/dP)(dP/dt) to solve the problem. Remember P = 4x and A = x^2.

Edit: I think your answer is right.

ok thanks

How could I go about setting problem 11 up? I messed up when I wrote change in volume when it was just volume because I haven't taken the derivative yet?

You have the rote mechanics of taking derivatives of simple functions, but it's evident that you don't understand the chain rule. For problem 11, you have dV/dt = 4/3 pi r^3, which is incorrect: for a sphere, V = 4/3 pi r^3. You also show some numbers but no indication of how you got them.

As already mentioned, for a sphere V = 4/3 pi r^3.

The differential of V, dV, is
dV = dV/dr * dr.

Time doesn't play a role in this problem do you don't want or need dV/dt.
Can you calculate dV/dr?
The differential of r, dr, is approximately equal to [itex]\Delta[/itex]r, which you should be able to figure out from the information given in this problem.

You have on your paper
"[tex]\frac{dA}{dt}= 2x[/tex]"

That is incorrect. It should be
"[tex]\frac{dA}{dt}= 2x\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]"

And you are given that dx/dt= 0.4 cm/s so
[tex]\frac{dA}{dt}= 0.8 x[/tex]

Now combine that with the fact that P= 4x.

Ok so should I plug in the change in the radius (.02cm) in order to get the change in volume in number 11.

Also in number 10, I now realize that I took the derivative with respect to time and not with respect to x so I would get 2x(dx/dt).

Actually now that I look at it again, wouldn't I plug in 10.02cm for r instead because it is the new volume and get (b)?

You could get the exact by calculating the volume at r= 10.2 and r= 10 and subtracting but that is not what is asked.

You could do it either by setting r= 10, dr= 0.2 or by setting r= 10.2, dt= -0.2. You will get different answers but this only an "approximation". It is far easier to use r= 10, dr= 0.2.

I took the liberty of cleaning up some typos, to aid the OP's understanding. My changes are shown in bold.
HallsofIvy said:
You could get the exact change in volume by calculating the volume at r= 10.02 and r= 10 and subtracting but that is not what is asked.

You could do it either by setting r= 10, dr= 0.02 or by setting r= 10.02, dr= -0.02. You will get different answers but this only an "approximation". It is far easier to use r= 10, dr= 0.02.

Alright thanks, I think I have a further understanding of this now. I did actually when I first started the problem, plug 10 and 10.02 into get the change in volume. Of course that wasn't an available answer and it wasn't the "approximate" answer. But after taking the derivative of the sphere volume formula with respect to radius I yield

dV\dr = 4pi(r)^2
I then plug in the radius 10 and the change in the radius .02.
dV/.02 = 4pi(10)^2
Finally,
dV = 25.133

Also Is there a reason I use 10 instead of 10.02? Is it because 10 was the original radius and we add .02 to the radius to find the change?

sonofjohn said:
Alright thanks, I think I have a further understanding of this now. I did actually when I first started the problem, plug 10 and 10.02 into get the change in volume. Of course that wasn't an available answer and it wasn't the "approximate" answer. But after taking the derivative of the sphere volume formula with respect to radius I yield

dV\dr = 4pi(r)^2
I then plug in the radius 10 and the change in the radius .02.
dV/.02 = 4pi(10)^2
Finally,
dV = 25.133

Also Is there a reason I use 10 instead of 10.02? Is it because 10 was the original radius and we add .02 to the radius to find the change?
Yes, that's the right answer (to 3 decimal places). Yes, 10 is the original radius, and dr = .02, both of which you need to find the change in volume.

One slight change I would make is to work with differentials rather than the derivative dV/dr.
IOW, instead of this equation:
dV/dr = 4 pi r^2,
I would write:
dV = 4 pi r^2 dr
and then substitute the known information. You get the same result.

Thanks for the confirmation. I also like the way you wrote that, have to use that format from now on.

What is the formula for finding the area of a square?

The formula for finding the area of a square is length multiplied by width. In the case of a square, the length and width are the same, so the formula is length x length or length².

How do you calculate the area of a square with a side length of 8?

To calculate the area of a square with a side length of 8, you would use the formula length x length or 8 x 8 = 64. The area would be 64 square units.

What is the difference between perimeter and area?

Perimeter is the distance around the outside of a shape, while area is the measure of the space inside a shape. In terms of a square, perimeter would be the measurement of all four sides added together, while area would be the measurement of the inside space of the square.

How do you find the area of a square with a diagonal length of 9?

To find the area of a square with a diagonal length of 9, you would first need to find the length of one of the sides. Using the Pythagorean theorem, you can calculate that the length of one side is approximately 6.36. Then, using the formula length x length or 6.36 x 6.36 = 40.5696, the area of the square would be approximately 40.57 square units.

What is the area of a square with a perimeter of 10?

The area of a square with a perimeter of 10 cannot be determined without knowing the length of at least one of the sides. This is because different combinations of side lengths can have the same perimeter, but different areas. For example, a square with a perimeter of 10 could have sides of length 2.5, resulting in an area of 6.25, or sides of length 1, resulting in an area of 1. Therefore, the area cannot be determined with just the perimeter given.