1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the relationship between stopping potential and the intensity of light?

1. Oct 31, 2009 #1
    The higher the intensity of the light we will get a higher stopping potential.
    Why is that so? is there any theory and formula to justifiy this behavior?

How is wavelength affecting the intensity of light?

Please advise.

Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2009 #2
    Are you sure a higher intensity of light leads to a higher stopping potential? That is contrary to the photoelectric effect!
    The wavelength and intensity of light are independent properties.

4. Nov 9, 2010 #3
    Well, theoretically it doesn't. I just did and experiment on this my result shows that when the intensity of light reduces, the stopping potential, albeilt slightly, reduces as well. Possibly because

stopping potential, eVo = KEmax = hf - Wo

and since Wo is dependant on the intensity of light, this will in turn affect our stopping potential. I might be wrong so...yeah..

5. Sep 18, 2012 #4
    Sorry to wake up the dead.
    Stumbled upon this and it looked interesting.

When an electron is hit by a photon which has an energy below the work function, the electron is excited for a short period of time before returning to the initial state. So if the intensity of light is high it is possible for 2 or more photons to hit the same electron (albeit under very low probability) within this very short period of time, thus causing it to detach.

I think this may be a possible explanation.

*edit* Just to clarify, intensity of light is the amount of photons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook