What is the relationship between stress and load for a 19mm shaft?

In summary: By dividing the maximum working stress by the area of the shaft.In summary, the maximum Load that a 19mm shaft is able to take with a safety factor of 3 is 470 MPa.
learnphysics10
I have been given this question by my teacher as part of a quiz and I'm confused on how to start.
1. Calculate the maximum working tensile load that a 19mm shaft is able to take with a safety factor of 3. Material UTS 470 Mpa
2. Stress = load/area

When it states 'area' what is this the are of? The 19 mm shaft? If so, how do I possibly work it out without any other measurements of the length.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong with any of my attempts.

3. -Stress is the maximum tensile load
-UTS 470 Mpa means ultimate tensile strength 470 mega pascals?
-The load is 470 Mpa
-stress= 470 Mpa/?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You should include the info you have about the safety factor and notice you want to compute a load not a stress.
learnphysics10 said:
When it states 'area' what is this the are of? The 19 mm shaft? If so, how do I possibly work it out without any other measurements of the length.

I suppose that by 19mm your prof means the diameter or radius of the cross section of the shaft which you should be able to compute using what you are given.

You don't need to know the length. If the UTS is 470MPa, and the factor of safety is 3, what is the maximum tensile stress that you are allowed to impose of the shaft? If the shaft diameter is 19mm, what is the shaft area? At the maximum allowed tensile stress, what is the tensile force on the shaft?

What does the 'safety factor of 3' do in terms of this equation? So the formula stress= load/area is not needed to calculate maximum working tensile load? The area of the shaft is 9.5^2 x π = 283.52

learnphysics10 said:
What does the 'safety factor of 3' do in terms of this equation?
A safety factor of 3 just means that you should arrange the actual stress not to exceed one third of the theoretical limit stress.

learnphysics10 said:
What does the 'safety factor of 3' do in terms of this equation? So the formula stress= load/area is not needed to calculate maximum working tensile load? The area of the shaft is 9.5^2 x π = 283.52
No. It is used. It's just used in the reverse order than what you've been thinking. First you determine the maximum working stress, then you determine the maximum working load. A factor of safety of 3 means that the maximum working stress is equal to the ultimate stress divided by 3.

Chestermiller said:
then you determine the maximum working load.

How do you go about determining the maximum working load? Is it 470 Mpa?

learnphysics10 said:
How do you go about determining the maximum working load? Is it 470 Mpa?
It's 470 divided by the safety factor.

Chestermiller said:
It's 470 divided by the safety factor.

The maximum working stress is 470 MPa divided by the safety factor.

I believe the poster was inquiring about the maximum working load, which is a different animal. It's what's required to answer the OP.

SteamKing said:
The maximum working stress is 470 MPa divided by the safety factor.

I believe the poster was inquiring about the maximum working load, which is a different animal. It's what's required to answer the OP.
Yipes. You're right. He finally got me confused.

So the formula for stress = load/area is not needed for this?

Well, let's analyze this. You are looking for the maximum load. You know the maximum working stress. You know the size of the shaft. How do we relate stress to load for a shaft?

1. What is the maximum working tensile load?

The maximum working tensile load refers to the maximum amount of force that a material or structure can withstand before it breaks or fails under tension. It is an important factor to consider in engineering and design to ensure the safety and durability of a product or structure.

2. How is the maximum working tensile load determined?

The maximum working tensile load is determined through testing and calculations. The material's properties, such as its tensile strength and elasticity, are measured and used to determine the maximum amount of load it can withstand before it reaches its breaking point.

3. Is the maximum working tensile load the same for all materials?

No, the maximum working tensile load is not the same for all materials. Each material has its own unique properties and characteristics that affect its maximum working tensile load. For example, steel has a higher maximum working tensile load compared to rubber.

4. Why is the maximum working tensile load important?

The maximum working tensile load is important because it helps determine the strength and durability of a material or structure. It is also crucial for ensuring the safety of products and structures that will be subjected to tension or pulling forces.

5. How can the maximum working tensile load be increased?

The maximum working tensile load can be increased by using stronger and more durable materials, such as high-strength alloys or composites. The design and construction of the product or structure can also be optimized to better distribute the load and reduce stress concentrations, thereby increasing the maximum working tensile load.