What is the relationship between velocity and acceleration?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between velocity, acceleration, and position in the context of using accelerometer data to calculate distance traveled. The equations V = u + at and S = ut + 1/2 at^2 are mentioned, with the clarification that U (initial velocity) is not always zero and depends on the time of observation. The conversation also mentions the use of integration to calculate distance when acceleration is not constant. The concept of using trapezoidal rule and more advanced methods to estimate acceleration between sample periods is also discussed. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use raw numbers and curve fitting to find a function for calculating distance traveled.
likephysics
Basic question about velocity/acceleration/position.
I am playing with accelerometer data. I am trying to plot the distance traveled.

From what I remember(high school physics) -
V = u + a t
S= ut + 1/2 a t^2

Is U(initial velocity) always zero or is it the previous value of velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
U is not always zero...

If the object starts from rest then U=0...
It depends on the time of observation ..
for example if u want to calculate the distance travellled by a body in time t=2 to t=4 having an acceleration of 3 m/s2 ...

Then u start observing the motion at time t= 2s ...then you take U as speed at time t=2 seconds which is obviously not zero ( it is v = 0 + 3 x 2 = 6m/s)...

D_DaYwAlKeR said:
U is not always zero...

If the object starts from rest then U=0...
It depends on the time of observation ..
for example if u want to calculate the distance travellled by a body in time t=2 to t=4 having an acceleration of 3 m/s2 ...

Then u start observing the motion at time t= 2s ...then you take U as speed at time t=2 seconds which is obviously not zero ( it is v = 0 + 3 x 2 = 6m/s)...

When you give an example like above, I easily understand.
But when (starting from rest) you have acceleration data every millisecond, I get confused. Say, when calculating velocity at 10millisec, do you take the 9th millisec velocity as initial vel for the 10th millisec velocity?

First of all..
we can use v = u + at only when acceleration is constant...

when u have acceleration data every second..and if it is changing then u cannot apply the equation s = ut + 1/2 at2 for a comparatively wide range of time interval like 1 second as the acceleration is changing every millisecond..

therefore, we have techniques like integration to overcome such problems in which acceleration is not constant and is changing every micro or even smaller nano seconds..

So, the answer to your question is that if the acceleration is constant between 9th millisecond and 10th millisecond...

then u can use v = u + at for that very short interval of time...and u = velocity at time 9 millisecond ...and v = vel. at time 10th millisecond ... a = given ...t = 10 - 9 = 1 millisecond...

Hope u understood..

When you give an example like above, I easily understand.
But when (starting from rest) you have acceleration data every millisecond, I get confused.

think of an automobile as an example...when you accelerate at some constant rate you increase speed from the initial value, even 0, to some higher value, right??

The change in speed for a constant acceleration for a fixed period of time is the same regardless of initial velocity [neglecting things like air friction]...
example, v =at so if you accelerate 2ft/sec/sec for 3 seconds that's an increase of 6 ft/sec...
makes no difference what the initial velocity was...whatever it was, you add 6ft/sec to it...

likephysics said:
But when (starting from rest) you have acceleration data every millisecond, I get confused. Say, when calculating velocity at 10millisec, do you take the 9th millisec velocity as initial vel for the 10th millisec velocity?
Yes. You could use an "average" acceleration (trapezoidal rule) and velocity to do this calculation:

velocity[i+1] = velocity + 1/2 (acceleration + acceleration[i+1])
distance[i+1] = distance + 1/2 (velocity + velocity[i+1])

There are more advanced methods, but with a 1 millisecond sample period, trapezoidal rule should be reasonably close. The more advanced methods essentially do some form of curve fitting to estimate acceleration between sample periods by creating a function of acceleration versus time for each sample period.

Last edited:
If you can show me the raw numbers, I can find a function to fit the points, and then from there it's just kiddie integrals.

1. What is the relationship between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In simpler terms, acceleration is the change in velocity divided by the change in time.

2. How is velocity calculated from acceleration?

To calculate velocity from acceleration, you can use the formula: v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time interval. You can also integrate the acceleration function over time to determine the change in velocity.

3. Can velocity be negative if acceleration is positive?

Yes, velocity can be negative even if acceleration is positive. This means that the object is slowing down in the positive direction. For example, if a car is moving forward with a positive velocity and then applies the brakes, its velocity will decrease and become negative, while the acceleration (due to the application of the brakes) remains positive.

4. How does velocity from acceleration relate to Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the net force, the greater the acceleration. Using the formula F = ma, we can see that acceleration is equal to the net force divided by the mass. Therefore, acceleration affects the velocity of an object, as velocity is directly proportional to acceleration.

5. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the overall rate of change of an object's position over a specific time interval, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. Average velocity can be calculated by dividing the total displacement of an object by the time interval, while instantaneous velocity can be found by taking the derivative of the displacement function with respect to time.