What is the resistance of a wire if its diameter is doubled?

In summary, the resistance decreases by 1/16 less than the previous value when the diameter is doubled.
Kevin J
This was a MCQ question on one of my Cambridge IGCSE Exams, the answer key said that the resistance would decrease by 16 folds (1/16 less then the previous one), I don't know how they got 16 from? (Apparently, I answered 1/4 and it was wrong)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your question doesn't sound like homework. But why did you say 4? Are you thinking DC or AC?

If DC resistance is directly proportional to crossectional area, then 1/4 sounds right.
πR∧2 VERS. π(2R)∧2 (Assuming the length is constant.)

Last edited:
Here's the question, the mark scheme says it's D, how do you get D?
20181109_215224.jpeg

Attachments

• 20181109_215224.jpeg
    20181109_215224.jpeg
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,596
What happens to the length?

Likes jim hardy and Bystander
Chestermiller said:
What happens to the length?
It doesn't say anything, it was a question from CAMBRIDGE IGCSE

It says the new cylinder is the same volume as the old one.

ChemAir said:
It says the new cylinder is the same volume as the old one.
I have a feeling that the length decreases right?

The volume of a cylinder is $$V=\pi\frac{D^2}{4}L$$If D doubles and V remains constant what does L have to do?

Kevin J said:
Here's the question, the mark scheme says it's D, how do you get D? View attachment 233716
Kevin J said:
It doesn't say anything, it was a question from CAMBRIDGE IGCSE
Kevin J said:
I have a feeling that the length decreases right?
I does in fact mention the length. It states the volume of the putty remains constant as the diameter is increased by twice. For that to be true, the length must also change. Remember that resistance is approximated from resistivity and is inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area of the putty while also being proportional to the putty's length. If the length of the putty decreases while the area increases, the resistance will decrease by the seemingly "too large" factor shown above. Hope this helps.

The easiest way to handle these problems is to substitute in for some numbers and see what happens when you change the parameters.

Last edited:

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or object resists the flow of electricity. It is measured in units called ohms (Ω).

2. How is resistance affected by a wire's diameter?

A wire's diameter has a direct effect on its resistance. As the diameter of a wire increases, the resistance decreases and vice versa. This is because a thicker wire has more space for electrons to flow through, resulting in less resistance.

3. Can resistance be calculated if the diameter of a wire is doubled?

Yes, the resistance can be calculated if the diameter of a wire is doubled. The resistance of a wire is directly proportional to its length and inversely proportional to its cross-sectional area, which is determined by the wire's diameter. Therefore, doubling the diameter of a wire will result in a halving of its resistance.

4. How does the material of the wire affect its resistance?

The material of a wire also plays a significant role in its resistance. Materials with high conductivity, such as copper, have lower resistance compared to materials with lower conductivity, such as aluminum. This is because more free electrons are available to flow through a material with high conductivity, resulting in less resistance.

5. Is there a limit to how much a wire's diameter can be increased to reduce its resistance?

Yes, there is a limit to how much a wire's diameter can be increased to reduce its resistance. While increasing the diameter will decrease the resistance, there comes a point where further increases in diameter will not have a significant impact on the resistance. This is because the wire's length also plays a role in determining resistance, and increasing the diameter alone cannot compensate for an excessively long wire.