What is the speed of the rock right before it hits the ground?

In summary, the rock kicks off the cliff with a speed of 19.4 m/s at an angle of 52.5° above the horizontal. The rock hits the ground 5.41 s after it was kicked.
turtledove

Homework Statement

A boy kicks a rock off a cliff with a speed of 19.4 m/s at an angle of 52.5° above the horizontal. The rock hits the ground 5.41 s after it was kicked.

a) How high is the cliff? (60.3 m)

b) What is the speed of the rock right before it hits the ground?

c) What is the maximum height of the rock measured from the top of the cliff?

Homework Equations

d = Vit + 1/2 at^2
vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad
d= vt

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I found this by using the equation:
d= (-19.4sin52.5)(5.41) + (0.5)(9.8)(5.41)^2
= 60.3 m, this is correct

b) I am having trouble figuring out the speed as it hits the ground. I was trying:
Vf^2 = 0 + 2(9.8)(60.3)
= 34.4 m/s, however this seems to be wrong... what am i doing wrong?

c) I do not know how to start this part.

Somebody please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are separate y and x components of the velocity to consider. The speed at impact will be the composition of the two.

Have you considered energy conservation as a route to the answer?

Hmm...does that mean it is simply 19.4 m/s?

turtledove said:
Hmm...does that mean it is simply 19.4 m/s?

Nope. Not in this case, where the landing point is lower than the starting point -- it converts potential energy to kinetic energy on the way down...

Ok, I tried something different:

Vfx = 19.4cos52.5
= 11.8 m/s

Vfy = 19.4sin52.5 + sqrt 2(60.3)(9.8)
= 15.4 + 34.37
= 49.76 m/s

V^2 = (Vx)^2 + (Vy)^2
= 51.1 m/s

This is wrong again :(

Turtledove, your Vfy is totally incorrect.

would i just keep it as Vfy = 19sin52.5 ? what other values need to be incorporated? I am so confused with this question!

No, I won't answer that question. This is homework and I'm sure you know enough to work it out. You know where the problem is, so draw a sketch and do some thinking about what is incorporated.

Your expression for Vfy is not correct. If you want to use energy change to figure the final y-velocity, then you should start with the initial kinetic energy (in the y-direction) and add the energy due to potential energy change before converting back to velocity.

You could also just add the potential energy change to the overall initial kinetic energy, no need to worry about components.

Another way to the final y-velocity is to consider that you're given the time of flight, so just apply v(t) = vo + a*t.

1. What is the definition of speed?

Speed is the measure of how fast an object is moving, typically measured in units of distance per time (such as meters per second).

2. How is the speed of the rock calculated?

The speed of the rock can be calculated using the equation speed = distance/time. The distance can be measured by determining the height the rock was dropped from, and the time can be measured using a stopwatch.

3. Does the speed of the rock change as it falls?

Yes, the speed of the rock increases as it falls due to the force of gravity acting upon it. It will continue to accelerate until it reaches terminal velocity, which is the maximum speed an object can reach when falling due to air resistance.

4. Does the mass of the rock affect its speed?

Yes, the mass of the rock does affect its speed. Objects with greater mass require more force to accelerate, so a heavier rock will have a slower speed than a lighter rock when dropped from the same height.

5. Can the speed of the rock be changed before it hits the ground?

Yes, the speed of the rock can be changed before it hits the ground if a force is acting upon it. For example, if the rock encounters air resistance or is pushed by an external force, its speed will be affected.