Minimum Initial Speed for Ball to Clear Hemispherical Rock

In summary: Can you tell me how you got the relation between x and y?In summary, the ball will never hit the rock if its horizontal velocity is less than or equal to the sphere's surface curvature.
nebullient

Homework Statement

A person standing at the top of a hemispherical rock of radius R kicks a ball (initially at rest on the top of the rock) to give it horizontal velocity ##v_i##. What must be its minimum initial speed if the ball is never to hit the rock after it is kicked?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##d_y = 1/2at^2##
##-R = -1/2gt^2##
##2R = gt^2##
##t = { \sqrt \frac {2R} {g}}##

##d_x = v_xt##
##d_x = v_it##
## v_i = \frac {d_x} { \sqrt {\frac {2R} {g}}}## If ##d_x = R##, then

##v_i = \frac {R} { \sqrt {\frac {2R} {g}}} = { \sqrt {\frac {Rg} {2}}} ## But since ##d_x > R##, ##v_i > { \sqrt {\frac {Rg} {2}}} ##However, the answer is just ##v_i > { \sqrt {Rg} } ##Please let me know where I went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your assumption that in order for it to not strike again, its range needs to be bigger than ##R## is wrong. What other constraints can you think of?

HINT: Distance from Center of hemisphere is always greater than R

EDIT: Its range would be greater than R but that's not the only constraint.

But the horizontal displacement must be greater than R for the ball not to hit the rock...

Yes it needs to be, But there is another constraint.

I can't think of anything else :( Is it that the vertical displacement must be greater than R? I used ##d_y = -R## because the ball is initially at rest and it falls to the ground.

Write the Coordinates as functions of time first.

Did you get these ?

$$ x= v_i t$$
and
$$ y = R - \frac {gt^2} {2} $$

Yes, but I wrote the second equation differently.

Oh, Did you have taken the top point as origin?

Now, What is the distance between the centre of the hemisphere and the ball at some random time?

##\sqrt {x^2 + y^2}##

Hi,
I initially got the same answer as nebullient, but then I got to thinking about the ball when it is close to the point where it was kicked. If ##v_i < { \sqrt {Rg} }## then the ball never gets off of the sphere. I used a coordinate system with the origin at the center of the sphere and calculated x and y for the sphere, as well as the ball, and set them equal to each other. This led me to the relation ##\frac{x^2}{R} = g \frac{x^2}{v_i^2}##, which yields ##v_i > { \sqrt {Rg} }##

Likes nebullient
Gene Naden said:
If vi<√Rgvi<Rgv_i < { \sqrt {Rg} } then the ball never gets off of the sphere.

How did you determine this?

nebullient said:
x2+y2

Good, Now just put in the values and then you will get ( ##\sqrt{x^2 + y^2} > R##)

$$ \frac {g^2t^2}{4} >= Rg - v_i ^2$$

So ##Rg- v_i^2## must be negative.

I wrote x and y as a function of t, for the ball. I wrote y as a function of x for the surface of the sphere and used the approximation ##\sqrt{(R^2-x^2)}=R(1-\frac{1}{2}\frac{x^2}{R^2})##. I substituted for t as a function of ##v_i## and x. Setting the two expressions for y equal to one another gave the result. This is just the speed you need to get off of the surface of the sphere.

If ##v_i = { \sqrt {\frac {Rg} {2}}}## then the sphere gets in the way of the ball.

Good luck!

The easiest way is to think about curvature. The initial trajectory must not curve more tightly than the sphere. The trajectory's curvature is a result of the centripetal force provided by gravity.

That sounds like a less roundabout way to approach the solution.

1. How does a ball behave when kicked off of a hemisphere?

When a ball is kicked off of a hemisphere, its trajectory will depend on the angle and force of the kick. The ball will initially follow a curved path as it leaves the hemisphere, and then its trajectory will straighten out as it continues to move in a linear path.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a ball kicked off of a hemisphere?

The main factors that affect the trajectory of a ball kicked off of a hemisphere are the angle and force of the kick, as well as any external forces such as wind or gravity. The shape and material of the hemisphere may also have a slight impact on the ball's trajectory.

3. Is the trajectory of a ball kicked off of a hemisphere affected by the hemisphere's orientation?

Yes, the orientation of the hemisphere can affect the trajectory of a ball kicked off of it. If the hemisphere is tilted or angled, the ball's trajectory will also be affected and may deviate from a straight path.

4. Does the size of the hemisphere impact the trajectory of a ball kicked off of it?

The size of the hemisphere may have a slight impact on the trajectory of a ball kicked off of it, but the main factors that affect the trajectory are the angle and force of the kick. A larger hemisphere may provide a larger surface for the ball to bounce off of, but this may not have a significant impact on the overall trajectory.

5. Can a ball kicked off of a hemisphere ever return to its original starting point?

In theory, a ball kicked off of a hemisphere can return to its original starting point if it follows a precise trajectory. However, in most real-world scenarios, factors such as air resistance and external forces make it unlikely for the ball to return to its exact starting point.