What is the subgroup and order of a matrix group generated by A and B?

  • Thread starter Thread starter burak100
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Groups Matrix
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
burak100
Messages
33
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



[itex]A= \left( \begin{matrix}<br /> i & 0 \\<br /> 0 &-i<br /> \end{matrix} \right)[/itex]
, [itex]B= \left( \begin{matrix}<br /> 0 & 1 \\<br /> 1 & 0<br /> \end{matrix} \right)[/itex]
\\
Show that [itex]\langle A, B \rangle[/itex] is subgroup of [itex]GL_2(\mathbb{C})[/itex]. And Show that [itex]\langle A, B \rangle[/itex] generated by [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex], and order of [itex]\langle A, B \rangle[/itex] is 8 ?

Homework Equations



[itex]GL_2(\mathbb{C}) = \big\lbrace X \in M_2(\mathbb{C}) ~~\vert ~~ \exists Y\in M_2(\mathbb{C}) ~ with~ XY=YX=I \big\rbrace[/itex] \\
which [itex]Y[/itex] is inverse of [itex]X[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
And what have you done?? What do you have to do to show something is a subgroup?
 
[itex]\langle A, B \rangle = \left( \begin{matrix} 0 & i \\ -i & 0 \end{matrix} \right)[/itex] and det(<A,B>)=-1, hence det(<A,B>) in [itex]GL_2(\mathbb{C})[/itex]. right?

on the other hand, if we want to show [itex]\langle A, B \rangle[/itex] generated by A and B,
we need to show that A and B are linear independent ?
 
Last edited:
I am confused, because
[itex]\langle A, B \rangle[/itex][itex]= \Big\langle \left( \begin{matrix} i & 0 \\ 0 & -i \end{matrix} \right) \left( \begin{matrix} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{matrix} \right)\Big\rangle[/itex][itex]= \left( \begin{matrix} 0 & i \\ -i & 0 \end{matrix} \right)[/itex] right?

and this is just an element of [itex]GL_2{\mathbb{C}}[/itex], not a group of [itex]GL_2{\mathbb{C}}[/itex], right?
 
Last edited:
burak100 said:
I am confused, because
[itex]\langle A, B \rangle[/itex][itex]= \Big\langle \left( \begin{matrix} i & 0 \\ 0 & -i \end{matrix} \right) \left( \begin{matrix} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{matrix} \right)\Big\rangle[/itex][itex]= \left( \begin{matrix} 0 & i \\ -i & 0 \end{matrix} \right)[/itex] right?

and this is just an element of [itex]GL_2{\mathbb{C}}[/itex], not a group of [itex]GL_2{\mathbb{C}}[/itex], right?

Right. I'm not sure what <A,B> is supposed to mean, but I think you just supposed to check that the group generated by all possible products of A and B is a subgroup of order 8.
 
So , should I try to find all possible products of A and B , or is there some trick to find it?
 
burak100 said:
So , should I try to find all possible products of A and B , or is there some trick to find it?

Well, A^4=I and B^2=I, right? Showing AB=(-BA) would also help a lot.
 
Dick said:
Well, A^4=I and B^2=I, right? Showing AB=(-BA) would also help a lot.

I try to calculate possibilities,

I, A, B, AB, BA, AAB, AAA, BAA

and there are 8 elements , is it the answer?
 
burak100 said:
I try to calculate possibilities,

I, A, B, AB, BA, AAB, AAA, BAA

and there are 8 elements , is it the answer?

The answer would be a PROOF that those 8 elements form a group. Just listing them isn't enough. Besides, I don't think all of those are different. Isn't AAB=BAA?