What is the Tension Force of a Swing Set at the Bottom of its Path?

In summary, the conversation is about determining the tension in the chain at the bottom of a swing's path, given that the swing is pulled back at an angle θ from the vertical. The correct equation for the tension is T= mg(3-2cosθ), which takes into account the direction of the forces involved. The initial equation of T= mg(1-cosθ) does not account for the direction and is thus incorrect.
testme

Homework Statement

At the playground, a girl gets on a swing. Her mother pulls her back so that the chain on the swing is at an angle θ from the vertical. She holds her daughter and then let's her go, without pushing. Show that the tension in the chain at the bottom of the swing’s path is given by:

T= mg(1-cosθ)

Homework Equations

Fnet = mv^2/r
mgh = 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Let Upwards be positive.

I first found out that the height the swing was moved upwards by, h, is:

h = r - rcosθ

Then I used mgh = 1/2mv^2 to solve for v^2:

mg(r-rcosθ) = 1/2 mv^2
2g(r-rcosθ) = v^2

Knowing v^2 I used Fnet = mv^2/r and tried to solve for the tensional force.

Fnet = mv^2/r
-Fg + T = mv^2/r

-mg + T = mv^2/r
-mg + T = m(2g(r-rcosθ))/r
-mg + T = 2mgr(1-cosθ)/r
-mg + T = 2mg(1-cosθ)
T = 2mg - 2mgcosθ + mg
T = 3mg - 2mgcosθ
T = mg(3-2cosθ)

This isn't the same as the answer it should be though. Someone told me there are no signs involved and everything is positive which does end up giving you the right answer but why would we ignore the direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
testme said:
Show that the tension in the chain at the bottom of the swing’s path is given by:

T= mg(1-cosθ)
[PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon13.gif Were this correct, it's saying tension at lowest point in arc would be less than the person's weight.
T = mg(3-2cosθ)
That is my answer, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you also think that the teach made a mistake and my answer is correct?

testme said:
So you also think that the teach made a mistake and my answer is correct?

Cetainly T= mg(1-cosθ) can't be the answer, since that is less than mg alone, and we know the Tension has to be greater than mg.
Indeed, if the swing is is "pulled aside" by 0o then the Tension supposedly becomes zero?

I see what you mean, so, the teacher, or whoever made up the question, probably forgot to make either tension or gravity a negative then, thanks.

What is tension force?

Tension force is a pulling or stretching force that occurs when an object is being pulled or stretched by another object.

How does tension force apply to a swing set?

In a swing set, tension force is present in the chains or ropes that hold the swing seat. When a person sits on the swing, their weight creates tension force in the chains or ropes, which allows them to swing back and forth.

What factors affect the tension force in a swing set?

The tension force in a swing set is affected by the weight of the person using the swing, the length and stiffness of the chains or ropes, and the angle of the chains or ropes.

Is tension force the only force involved in swinging on a swing set?

No, there are other forces involved in swinging on a swing set such as gravity, friction, and air resistance. These forces work together to create the swinging motion.

How can tension force be calculated in a swing set?

Tension force can be calculated by using the formula F = ma, where F is the tension force, m is the mass of the person on the swing, and a is the acceleration due to gravity. The length and angle of the chains or ropes can also be taken into account in the calculation.