What is the Time for an Object to Orbit the Sun at a Radius of 3*10^6 m?

In summary, the question asks for the time it would take for an object to complete one orbit around the sun if it were discovered orbiting at a radius of 3*10^6 meters. However, the given radius is significantly smaller than the actual radius of the sun, making the question flawed. It is possible that the intended question was for an object orbiting 3*10^6 meters above the surface of the sun, which would require adding the radius of the sun to the given radius in the equation.
avb203796
If an object were discovered oriting at a radius of 3*10^6 m, what would be the time that it would take to complete one orbit around the sun?
So I know I need to use the following equation:

T^2/R^3 = 4pie^2/GM

but do I use the radius they gave me or do I have to add that radius to the the radius of the sun to get R?

Physics news on Phys.org
check your radius ... it seems to be smaller then the radius of the sun!

The radius in the formula is the radius of the circle of the orbit. However, the Sun's radius is quite a bit more than 3 million meters (The Earth's radius is 6 million meters)!

If this is exactly how the question is stated, the the question is flawed. Perhaps the problem was intended to be 3 million meters above the surface of the sun. In that case you would add 3*10^6 to the Sun's radius of 6.96*10^8 meters, which would be 6.99*10^8 meters. This is almost insignificant, but it would be my assumption as to what the intent of the question was.

Last edited:

Related to What is the Time for an Object to Orbit the Sun at a Radius of 3*10^6 m?

1. What is gravitational acceleration?

Gravitational acceleration is the acceleration at which an object falls towards the surface of a planet or other celestial body, due to the force of gravity.

2. How is gravitational acceleration calculated?

The formula for calculating gravitational acceleration is g = GM/r^2, where g is the acceleration due to gravity, G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet or celestial body, and r is the distance between the object and the center of the planet or celestial body.

3. What is the value of Earth's gravitational acceleration?

The value of Earth's gravitational acceleration is approximately 9.8 m/s^2. This means that an object near the surface of Earth will accelerate at a rate of 9.8 meters per second, every second, towards the ground.

4. Does gravitational acceleration vary on different planets?

Yes, gravitational acceleration varies on different planets depending on their mass and size. For example, the gravitational acceleration on Mars is approximately 3.7 m/s^2, while on Jupiter it is approximately 24.8 m/s^2.

5. How does altitude affect gravitational acceleration?

As altitude increases, the distance between an object and the center of the planet also increases, leading to a decrease in gravitational acceleration. This means that the gravitational acceleration will be slightly lower at higher altitudes compared to sea level.