What is the time needed for A to move 50cm downward?

• Thread starter frozen7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the mass of A and B is 0.49kg and a ring of 0.001kg was added to A, causing it to move downward. The time needed for A to move 50cm downward can be calculated using constant acceleration formulae. After the first 50cm, the weight is removed and according to Newton's First Law, A will continue to move at a constant velocity with no acceleration. Therefore, the time needed for A to move another 50cm downward would be equal to the time it took to move the first 50cm.
frozen7
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4204&stc=1
Both mass of A and B is 0.49kg. A ring of 0.001kg is added on A to let A begin to move downward.
(a) what is the time needed for A to move 50cm downward?
(b)What is the time needed for A to move another 50cm downward if the ring was taken off imediately after first 50cm?

I can find the the answer of (a) but i don't know how to solve the 2nd question since I have no idea at all about how to find out the acceleration after first 50cm. Can anyone help me?

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    94.6 KB · Views: 742
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you did some free body force diagrams and analysed them for the first part?
A had the extra weight and so due to f=ma began to move.
I assume you then used constant acceleration formulae to calculate the time it took for A to move 50cm.

Now...

After the first 50cm, the weight is removed. What does this mean in terms of the equating of forces?... Does A still accelerate? Does it stop dead? Does it keep the same velocity?
Think about Newton's First Law : An object will remain at rest or at constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

A is still moving ...is it still accelerate with the same acceleration as previous?
How does Newton`s First Law relate with this question?

frozen7 said:
A is still moving ...is it still accelerate with the same acceleration as previous?
How does Newton`s First Law relate with this question?
"An object will remain at rest or at constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force."

After the additional weight is removed, there is no (net) external force- A will continue to move with no acceleration but at the speed it had at 50 cm.

Thanks. Is the answer equal to 5s?
Assume s=0.5
u= the speed at first 50cm
a=0

1. What is the basic equation for calculating time needed for an object to move a specific distance?

The basic equation for calculating time needed for an object to move a specific distance is time = distance/velocity, where time is measured in seconds, distance in meters, and velocity in meters per second.

2. How does the mass of the object affect the time needed for it to move?

The mass of an object has no effect on the time needed for it to move a specific distance. This is because the equation for time only takes into account the distance and velocity of the object, and not its mass.

3. What factors can affect the velocity of an object?

The velocity of an object can be affected by various factors such as the force applied, the surface it is moving on, and the air resistance. For example, a heavier object would require more force to move it, and a rough surface would slow down its movement.

4. Can the time needed for an object to move a specific distance change?

Yes, the time needed for an object to move a specific distance can change depending on various factors such as the force applied, the surface it is moving on, and the air resistance. For example, if the force applied to an object increases, it would move faster and take less time to cover the same distance.

5. How can we measure the time needed for an object to move a specific distance?

The time needed for an object to move a specific distance can be measured using a stopwatch or a timer. The object's starting position and the distance it needs to cover must be marked, and then the time taken for it to reach the end point can be recorded.