What is the Torque Problem in Muscle Mechanics?

• Thread starter Noctix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the question is asking for the force exerted on the forearm by the biceps muscle in a specific scenario. The solution involves using the equation for summing torques and setting it equal to 0, with the torques being the weight of the biceps, forearm, and cannonball, as well as another force acting at the elbow. It is incorrect to assume that the force in the biceps equals the mass or weight of the arm, hand, and cannonball.
Noctix

Homework Statement

A person with upper arm vertical and forearm horizontal holds a 4.5-kg iron cannon ball. Assume the mass of the forearm and hand is 1.5 kg, with a center of mass 15 cm from the elbow. The center of the cannonball is 32 cm from the elbow, and the force of the biceps is applied 5.0 cm from the elbow. (a) What force is exerted on the forearm by the biceps muscle?
correct answer=330N

Homework Equations

Tau1+Tau2+...=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Tau(biceps)+Tau(forearm)+Tau(cannonball)=0
r1m1gsin90° + r2m2gsin90° + r3m3gsin90°=0

plug in variables=wrong answer

thanks in advance, i really appreciate all help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Noctix said:

Homework Statement

A person with upper arm vertical and forearm horizontal holds a 4.5-kg iron cannon ball. Assume the mass of the forearm and hand is 1.5 kg, with a center of mass 15 cm from the elbow. The center of the cannonball is 32 cm from the elbow, and the force of the biceps is applied 5.0 cm from the elbow. (a) What force is exerted on the forearm by the biceps muscle?
correct answer=330N

Homework Equations

Tau1+Tau2+...=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Tau(biceps)+Tau(forearm)+Tau(cannonball)=0
r1m1gsin90° + r2m2gsin90° + r3m3gsin90°=0

plug in variables=wrong answer

thanks in advance, i really appreciate all help.
You have 3 masses listed, but there are only 2. Please show your math.

Sorry, that was unclear. I assumed the mass for the biceps would be the mass of the cannonball plus the mass of the forearm because the biceps are exerting force on both.
is that fair to assume?

I drew a picture similar to the illustration in my textbook for the other visual people like myself.
[PLAIN]http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/3923/physicsg.jpg

**My internet shuts down for the night in two minutes, so if anyone responds I will not be able to answer your questions till tomorrow. Any tips to point me in a general direction on how to solve this are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not correct to assume that the force in the biceps equals the mass of the arm, hand, and cannonball. Nor can you assume that the force in the biceps equals the weight of the arm, hand, and cannonball. There is also another force acting at the elbow. Sum torques = 0 about the elbow to solve for the bicep force. Show the numbers you are using.

1. What is torque and how does it relate to muscles?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In terms of muscles, torque is the force generated by muscles to produce movement around a joint.

2. How do muscles generate torque?

Muscles generate torque through the contraction of muscle fibers. When a muscle contracts, it pulls on tendons which then pull on bones, creating a rotational force at a joint.

3. What factors affect the amount of torque generated by muscles?

The amount of torque generated by muscles is affected by several factors, including the size and number of muscle fibers, the angle of the joint, and the length of the muscle fibers. Additionally, the amount of force applied and the distance between the force and the axis of rotation can also impact torque.

4. How does the torque generated by muscles change with age?

As we age, our muscles tend to weaken and decrease in size, which can result in a decrease in torque generation. This is why older individuals may have difficulty with tasks that require a lot of strength and force, such as lifting heavy objects.

5. Can torque problems with muscles lead to injuries?

Yes, when there is an imbalance in the torque generated by muscles, it can put excess strain on certain muscles and joints, leading to injuries such as muscle strains, sprains, and even dislocations. Proper training and balancing of muscle groups can help prevent these types of injuries.