What is the Total Work Required to Drive a Screw Completely into Wood?

In summary, the total work required to drive a screw completely into a block of wood is 187.5 J, calculated using the equation Work = ∫(15/(2PI * 25))x dθ from 0 to 50PI. The torque required for turning the screw increases linearly with the depth that the screw has penetrated into the wood, with a maximum torque of 15 N m when the screw is completely in the wood. It is important to consider the function τ(θ) in order to accurately calculate the work required.
Gingrbreadman1

Homework Statement

It takes 25 turns to drive a screw completely into a block of wood. Because the friction force between the wood and the screw is proportional to the contact area between the wood and the screw, the torque required for turning the screw increases linearly with the depth that the screw has penetrated into the wood. If the maximum torque is 15 N m when the screw is completely in the wood, what is the total work (in J) required to drive in the screw?

Homework Equations

Work = ∫torque dθ

The Attempt at a Solution

Work = ∫(15/25)x dθ (from 0 to 25)
Work = 187.5

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,

Uh, 25 turns does not correspond to theta = 25. Think about it. What angle do you go through in one turn?

One revolution would be 2PI, but when I do the same equation with the full 50PI I still get the wrong answer.

Gingrbreadman1 said:
One revolution would be 2PI, but when I do the same equation with the full 50PI I still get the wrong answer.

Well that's no surprise. You've got your integrand being constant. The whole point of this question is that that the torque ISN'T constant with angle. If it was constant, it wouldn't be necessary to integrate at all!

You have to think more carefully about what the function τ(θ) is. If I were you, I'd find the function τ(x), where x is the depth into the wood, and then translate this into τ(θ).

Thanks, changed the equation to the integral of (15/(2PI * 25))x from 0 to 50PI

Gingrbreadman1 said:
Thanks, changed the equation to the integral of (15/(2PI * 25))x from 0 to 50PI

I think that's correct, provided x is actually meant to be θ in that equation.

1. What is "total work to drive screw"?

The total work to drive screw refers to the amount of energy required to insert a screw into a material and fully secure it in place.

2. How is the total work to drive screw calculated?

The total work to drive screw is calculated by multiplying the force required to turn the screw by the distance traveled by the screwdriver. This gives the total amount of energy expended to drive the screw.

3. What factors affect the total work to drive screw?

The total work to drive screw can be affected by the type and size of the screw, the material being screwed into, and the amount of friction present between the screw and the material.

4. Why is it important to consider the total work to drive screw?

Considering the total work to drive screw is important because it can impact the amount of effort and time required to complete a project. It can also affect the overall strength and stability of the screw in the material.

5. Can the total work to drive screw be reduced?

Yes, the total work to drive screw can be reduced by using lubrication on the screw, choosing the correct screw size and type for the material, and minimizing friction between the screw and material.