1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the wavelength

1. Apr 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An FM station broadcasts at 107.5 MHz. What is the wavelength of this wave?

2. Relevant equations
    well i know that speed = frequency X wavelenght but if i dont know the speed then how can i find the length

3. The attempt at a solution
    so i found out that the average length of a radio wave is about 3 m and tried it but it was the wrong answer. i am just confused how to find the wavelength with only the frequency.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2009 #2
    oh so i think this is a second part to the question also. How long will it take for a message from Earth to reach the first astronauts who arrive on Mercury; assume Mercury is at its closest approach to Earth (9.17×107km)?

well i just did that distance 9.17x10^7 km and got it to m and then divided is by 3x10^8 which is the speed of light so what did i do wrong for that part?

4. Apr 6, 2009 #3

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nothing. You working is fine to either you have made a numerical error somewhere, or you have not entered the correct number of significant digits.
    If you were to assume that the radio wave was travelling through space (which is a pretty good approximation for air), what would be its speed?

5. Apr 6, 2009 #4
    would i just use 3x10^8 m/s?

6. Apr 6, 2009 #5
    oh wait i think i did have my decimals mixed up for the problem about the time. haha thanks

7. Apr 6, 2009 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds good to me.
    No problem.

8. Apr 6, 2009 #7
    cool thanks it worked!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook