What is the width of a wall seen from an opposing mirror?

In summary, the question asks for the width of the north wall that can be seen by the organist through a mirror mounted on the south wall. The distance between the two walls is 4.98 m and the organist sits 0.967 m away from the south wall. Using the Law of Reflection, the organist can see a width of 0.855 m on the north wall. The solution involves tracing rays from the organist's head to the edges of the mirror and across to the north wall. Snell's Law may also be incorporated in the solution.
Aneadra

Homework Statement

In a church choir loft, two parallel walls are
4.98 m apart. The singers stand against the
north wall. The organist faces the south wall,
sitting 0.967 m away from it. So that she can
see the choir, a flat mirror 0.855 m wide is
mounted in the south wall, straight in front of
the organist.
What width of the north wall can she see?
Answer in units of m.

Homework Equations

I'm not exactly sure, but I think snells law is incorporated somehow.

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram showing how the rays would bounce off the north wall into the southwall and I do see where some triangles are formed, other than that I'm kinda lost...

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not trace some rays from the head of the organist to the edges of the mirror and across to the opposite wall?

Aneadra said:
I'm not exactly sure, but I think snells law is incorporated somehow.

Mmmm, not quite. How about the Law of Reflection?

Related to What is the width of a wall seen from an opposing mirror?

1. What is the concept of "width" in relation to a wall seen from an opposing mirror?

The width of an object refers to the measurement from one side to the other, typically in a straight line. In the case of a wall seen from an opposing mirror, the width would be the measurement from one end of the wall to the other, as seen in the reflection.

2. How does the angle of the mirror affect the width of the wall in its reflection?

The angle of the mirror can affect the width of the wall in its reflection. If the mirror is at a 90-degree angle to the wall, the width in the reflection will be the same as the actual width of the wall. However, if the mirror is at an angle, the width in the reflection will appear distorted and may not accurately represent the actual width of the wall.

3. Is it possible for the width of a wall to appear different in a mirror than in reality?

Yes, the width of a wall can appear different in a mirror than in reality due to the angle of the mirror and the phenomenon of perspective. The reflection in the mirror can make objects appear larger or smaller than their actual size.

4. How can one accurately measure the width of a wall seen from an opposing mirror?

To accurately measure the width of a wall seen from an opposing mirror, one should use a measuring tape or ruler to measure the distance between the two ends of the wall as seen in the reflection. It is important to make sure the measuring tape or ruler is parallel to the mirror for an accurate measurement.

5. Can the width of a wall seen in a mirror change depending on the distance from the mirror?

Yes, the width of a wall seen in a mirror can change depending on the distance from the mirror. The closer the viewer is to the mirror, the narrower the width may appear in the reflection. This is due to the effect of perspective, where objects appear smaller the farther away they are from the observer.