What is the work required to move an electron in an electric field?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
huntingrdr
Messages
24
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



What work is needed to move an electron from (0,5m,0) to (0,0,8m) in an electric field of E = {25, -30, 0} x 10^3 V/m?

Homework Equations



W = Change in U = Q* Change in V

The Attempt at a Solution



I calculated Change in V = -E* change in r. Change in r I got (0,-5, 8). Then I took that and multiplied it by the Electric Field and got 0-(30)(-5)-0 = 150 x 10^3.

Now, how can I find charge Q? If I knew how to find charge Q I could multiply it to Change in V that I just calculated above and it would give me W.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
you have an electron .. so your chage Q should be the charge of electron which is 1.6x10^-19 c ..
 
thebigstar25 said:
you have an electron .. so your chage Q should be the charge of electron which is 1.6x10^-19 c ..

Ahh thanks...read the question too fast. Should have slowed down and payed attention.