What is the Zipf law and how does it relate to math?

• B
  • Thread starter houlahound
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the Pareto distribution and its relation to the exponential distribution. The topic then shifts to the difficulty of conducting statistical analysis on Chinese language due to its use of characters instead of words. A paper is mentioned that addresses this issue and the individual expresses a desire to improve their search skills for finding more information. The conversation ends with a mention of the use of Zipf's law in Google's search algorithm and the mystery of the Voynich book.
houlahound
Wow, just wow. Only just stumbled across this so haven't looked at any formal studies but still, wow!

Likes jedishrfu and BvU
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Quite interesting, I was curious to find whether it applied to Chinese where words like the, a ... are not used that is you when you say "I read the book" in Chinese there is no "the" it's literally "I read book".

Investigations are more difficult since a word in Chinese may be represented by one or more characters so that you can't just do stats on the character usage alone, instead you need to understand the context.

I found this paper that talks about the issues:

http://www.colips.org/journals/volume18/JCLC_2008_V18_N1_04.pdf

Curious how did you search that paper, I could not turn up much on Dr Google.

I would like to improve my search skills to find more info from the literature.

The trick is to use words low on the zips meter so that you'll get more precise hits.

For the search above I used "Chinese zipf law" and it came up on the second hit.

It may be that google uses this trick to improve its search results too but I don't know that. Anyway you might gain some insight from Google search presentation which I just found by luck:

https://www.google.com/insidesearch/howsearchworks/thestory/part-2.html

Likes houlahound
it was also curious that your video had a chart of zipf applied to the mysterious voynich book which has yet to be translated or even proven to be a real document.

I take no responsibility for the content.

Likes jedishrfu

1. What is Zipf's law?

Zipf's law is a mathematical principle that states there is a relationship between the frequency of a word in a language and its rank in a frequency table. It is named after Harvard linguistics professor George Kingsley Zipf, who first described it in the 1940s.

2. How is Zipf's law applied in linguistics?

Zipf's law is often used to analyze and understand the structure of languages. It can be applied to measure the similarity between languages, identify key words in a text, and even predict future word usage.

3. What is the connection between Zipf's law and power laws?

Power laws are a type of mathematical function that follows the pattern of Zipf's law. In other words, the relationship between the frequency and rank of words in a language follows a power law distribution. This is why Zipf's law is sometimes referred to as a "power law of language."

4. Can Zipf's law be applied to other fields besides linguistics?

Yes, Zipf's law has been observed in many other fields as well, including biology, economics, and even music. It is a principle that seems to apply to systems with a large number of components and a few dominant elements.

5. Is Zipf's law considered to be a universal law?

While Zipf's law has been observed in many different languages and systems, it is still a subject of debate whether it can be considered a universal law. Some scientists argue that it is simply a statistical phenomenon that can be observed in many different contexts, while others believe it reflects a deeper underlying principle in the organization of complex systems.