What is this breadboard looking thing called?

• Thread starter PainterGuy
  • Start date
hi everyone,

would you tell me what is this breadboard looking thing called?

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/3985/breadboard.jpg

i searched for reasons why breadboard is called breadboard but did not find any answers. do you know reasons?

many thanks for any help you can give.

cheers

Answers and Replies

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
People used to build prototype circuits using a piece of board (hence 'breadboard) with nails or screws to support components and stop them skating around. We're probably talking Valves, here.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The thing in the picture is a small 'development kit' for trying out simple circuits. It's got all you need. The components fit into the little holes ( suitable for DIL packages and discrete items). You can connect power and a meter to what you've designed and it's all in one place. It's a bit limited but much more convenient than solder and trailing wires. Much better than just a computer simulation, too.

i can't even find one at digi-key that has a built-in power supply. chances are it is either very old, homemade, or part of an educational lab somewhere.

Generally, these types of things are called prototyping boards, development boards, or development kits. They are common for building and testing microcontroller and mixed A/D circuits.

This one is probably some low-budget frankenstein of parts. Note how the DMM is unbranded, the breadboard has no line numbers, and one of the potentiometers is labeled "CLOCK PLUSE" (spelling error).

dudes. The guy just wants to know why they're called 'BREAD BOARDS'.

Go here for an image.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1920s_TRF_radio_manufactured_by_Signal.jpg" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: