Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is this electromagnetic device called?

1. Jul 6, 2016 #1
    What is this electromagnetic device called? Ive seen a couple. There is this one: as well as one similar but you must keep the magnet in motion to generate electricity.

I would like to make one of these, but I dont know the name of it which makes it hard to search for instructions and a general overview.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2016 #2

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

From the description give with the video:

I would call it an "air core transformer".

4. Jul 6, 2016 #3
    It is a transformer with removable core. When the metal core is inserted the magnetic field becomes stronger and thus it generates stronger voltage in the secondary coil.

However I am not completely sure what he is doing when we see the reverse effect, the voltage to become stronger when the core is removed...

5. Jul 6, 2016 #4

Averagesupernova

Gold Member

The windings are likely both in series with the bulb in the latter portion of the video. The bolt is drawn in with much less force.

6. Jul 6, 2016 #5

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thanks!
    Like Delta² , I was puzzled by the "that's not quite right" second part of the video.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted