What is this expression equal to?

In summary: And it seems like the fraction in the limit expression is using this identity to simplify the expression and eventually cancel out the ##(n^6 - n^4)## term in the numerator. This is a common technique in evaluating limits involving radicals.
doktorwho
Member reminded to post homework-type questions in the Homework sections
Basically i need to evaluate the limit of this expression ##\lim \sqrt[3]{n^6-n^4+5}-n^2=?## I want to know if this is correct and why:
##\lim \sqrt[3]{n^6-n^4+5}-n^2=\lim \sqrt[3]{n^6-n^4+5}-n^2*\frac{(\sqrt[3]{n^6-n^4+5})^2+n^2\sqrt[3]{n^6-n^4+5}+n^4}{(\sqrt[3]{n^6-n^4+5})^2+n^2\sqrt[3]{n^6-n^4+5}+n^4}=\lim \frac{n^6-n^4+5-n^6}{(\sqrt[3]{n^6-n^4+5})^2+n^2\sqrt[3]{n^6-n^4+5}+n^4}##
Why does the above fraction equals that? Is that an identity of some kind?

Physics news on Phys.org
doktorwho said:
Basically i need to evaluate the limit of this expression ##\lim \sqrt[3]{n^6-n^4+5}-n^2=?## I want to know if this is correct and why:
##\lim \sqrt[3]{n^6-n^4+5}-n^2=\lim \sqrt[3]{n^6-n^4+5}-n^2*\frac{(\sqrt[3]{n^6-n^4+5})^2+n^2\sqrt[3]{n^6-n^4+5}+n^4}{(\sqrt[3]{n^6-n^4+5})^2+n^2\sqrt[3]{n^6-n^4+5}+n^4}=\lim \frac{n^6-n^4+5-n^6}{(\sqrt[3]{n^6-n^4+5})^2+n^2\sqrt[3]{n^6-n^4+5}+n^4}##
Is this a schoolwork question? If so, I can move it to the Homework Help forums.

doktorwho said:

Do you know the identity:

##a^3 - b^3 = (a - b)(a^2 + ab + b^3)##?

Likes doktorwho
Math_QED said:
Do you know the identity:

##a^3 - b^3 = (a - b)(a^2 + ab + b^3)##?
You meant ##a^3 - b^3 = (a - b)(a^2 + ab + b^2)##.

Likes member 587159 and doktorwho
Its not exactly a homework problem but an already finished problem but i didnt understand that part so was looking for the identity. Thanks

ehild said:
You meant ##a^3 - b^3 = (a - b)(a^2 + ab + b^2)##.

Ah thanks for correcting the typo.

1. What is the order of operations for evaluating this expression?

The order of operations for evaluating an expression is as follows: parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division (from left to right), and addition and subtraction (from left to right).

2. How do I simplify this expression?

To simplify an expression, combine like terms and use the order of operations to evaluate any remaining operations.

3. Can I rearrange the terms in this expression?

Yes, you can rearrange the terms in an expression as long as you do not change the order of operations or the value of the expression.

4. How do I solve this equation for a specific variable?

To solve an equation for a specific variable, isolate that variable on one side of the equation and perform the same operation on both sides until the variable is alone.

5. What is the difference between an expression and an equation?

An expression is a mathematical phrase that can contain numbers, variables, and operators, but does not have an equal sign. An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the equality of two expressions, with an equal sign between them.