Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: WHAT IS THIS Phase Spectrum of this function.

1. Jan 5, 2012 #1
    dear all,

after doing a complex fourier series on a function. i am asked to find and graph the magnitude and phase spectrum of a fucntion.

now to cut the long story short. let's say we arrived a fourier series like this.

= [itex]\sum_{i=-∞}^{∞}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{npi}[/itex]sin [itex]\frac{npi}{2}[/itex]exp(jnpit)

so [itex]c_{n}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{npi}[/itex]sin [itex]\frac{npi}{2}[/itex]

= the phase spectrum of a function is the phase of [itex]c_{n}[/itex], but notice that this is PURELY REAL like this.

=[itex]\frac{1}{npi}[/itex]sin [itex]\frac{npi}{2}[/itex] + j *(0)

= phase is found as [itex]tan^{-1}[/itex] ( [itex]\frac{0}{[itex]\frac{1}{npi}[/itex]sin [itex]\frac{npi}{2}[/itex]}[/itex] )

= now is it not supposed to be zero for all n. but this function has a phase plot

= please explain to me how they did this,

my idea is that when we look at the complex plane.POSITIVE REAL part has angle 0 while NEGATIVE REAL part has 180 OR -180(I AM NOT SURE WHICH).

= please explain to me how [itex]tan^{-1}[/itex] 0/anything is accepted. AND which angle to choose 180 or -180

THANKS A LOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.....!!!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure about the term "phase spectrum". If it means frequency spectrum, isn't that just a plot of ##|c_n|## against ##\omega_n##? Or is it something else?

4. Jan 10, 2012 #3
    I mean the graph of the PHASE against the frequency what you have suggested is the magnitude against frequency.

when you do it. please don't just show the graph, i know the answer but don't understand how to get it.
    my doubts and questions i have asked in previous post above

thanks

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook