What is value of determinent of adjoint of a matrix?

A}\neq 0. That's a pretty big assumption. It's definitely true in general if \A is an nxn matrix. But what if \A is a 1x1 matrix ?That's what I was trying to get you to see.You are making some other mistake, because when I do the same thing, I get \A\adj{\A}=\det{\A}\I.In summary, the conversation is discussing the validity of the equation A adj(A)=|A|I, where A is a non-singular nxn matrix and I is the identity matrix of the same order. The conversation also explores different definitions of the adjoint matrix and how it relates to
vkash

Homework Statement

|adj(A)|=1 or any other thing??

Homework Equations

A adj(A)=|A|I
AA-1=I

The Attempt at a Solution

A adj(A)=|A|I
pre multiplying both sides with A-1
A-1A adj(A)=A-1|A|I
using AA-1=I
I adj(A)=A-1|A|
taking determinant of both sides.
|adj(A)|=|A-1|A|=1
is it correct?
IF it is wrong then point out that spot.
thanks
--------------
vikash chandola

Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you drop the identity matrix on the RHS in line 3?

I have: for any nxn non-singular matrix:
[tex]\newcommand{\bm}[1]{\mathbf{#1}}
\newcommand{\adj}[1]{{\mathbf{#1}}^{\dagger}}
\renewcommand{\det}[1]{|#1|}

|\bm{A}^\dagger| = |\bm{A}|^{n-1}[/tex]
I thnk you also want [itex]|k\bm{A}|=k^n|\bm{A}|[/itex] to go with [itex]\bm{A}\adj{A}=\det{\bm{A}}\bm{I}[/itex]

what is value of determinent of adjoint of a matrix?
Whatever people are prepared to pay for it - in a market economy. Have you considered putting it up for auction :)

vkash said:
A adj(A)=|A|I
What do you mean by |A|? The determinant of A? In that case, this equality doesn't hold for the 1×1 matrix (i), which has the adjoint (-i). Their product is (1), but the determinant of (i) is i.

A*Adj(A) = det(A)*I
... seems a common enough identity to me.
ferinstance, used in https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-100824.html
and in http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090427022849AAWgIlg
Also see: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=530910
Works for n > 1.

... since, for an invertable matrix, [itex]\newcommand{\bm}[1]{\mathbf{#1}} \newcommand{\adj}[1]{{\mathbf{#1}}^{\dagger}} \renewcommand{\det}[1]{|#1|}
\adj{A}=\det{\bm{A}}\bm{A}^{-1}[/itex]... then for a 1x1 matrix A=[a], |A|=a and A-1=1/a so the adj(A)=1.
... which makes the relation work for n=1 as well doesn't it?

What do you make A.adj(A) to come to?

Last edited:
The adjoint is the complex conjugate of the transpose. Let's try it with a 3×3 matrix:
$$A=\begin{pmatrix}
i & 0 & 0\\
0 & i & 0\\
0 & 0 & i
\end{pmatrix},\qquad A^\dagger=
\begin{pmatrix}
-i & 0 & 0\\
0 & -i & 0\\
0 & 0 & -i
\end{pmatrix}=-A,\qquad
\det A=i^3=-i$$ $$AA^\dagger=I,\qquad(\det A)I=-iI\neq I$$

Fredrik said:
The adjoint is the complex conjugate of the transpose. Let's try it with a 3×3 matrix:
$$A=\begin{pmatrix}
i & 0 & 0\\
0 & i & 0\\
0 & 0 & i
\end{pmatrix},\qquad A^\dagger=
\begin{pmatrix}
-i & 0 & 0\\
0 & -i & 0\\
0 & 0 & -i
\end{pmatrix}=-A,\qquad
\det A=i^3=-i$$ $$AA^\dagger=I,\qquad(\det A)I=-iI\neq I$$

There is genuine confusion over the terminology, because the same word "adjoint" is used for two different concepts by different writers. Probably what the poster here means is the old-fashioned linear algebra concept with [adj(A)](i,j) = (-1)^(i+j)M(j,i), where M(u,v) = (u,v)-minor of A = determinant of the matrix obtained by deleting row u and column v of A. The Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjugate_matrix refers to this as the "adjugate or classical adjoint" and points out:
"The adjugate has sometimes been called the 'adjoint', but that terminology is ambiguous. Today, 'adjoint' of a matrix normally refers to its corresponding adjoint operator, which is its conjugate transpose." I don't think the use of the term 'adjugate' is nearly as widespread as the Wiki article claims.

RGV

OK, thanks. I don't think I've ever heard anyone call that matrix the "adjoint". "Adjugate" sounds vaguely familiar, but I'm not sure I've heard that term either. I think I've heard it called "matrix of cofactors", but I could be mistaken. I haven't had to use this concept many times. Edit: I checked the Wikipedia article. The adjugate matrix is the transpose of the cofactor matrix.

Last edited:
I think one of those links I gave you explains this too.

Wikipedia has several adjoints listed.
The one you refer to is normally called the conjugate transpose... and searching wiki for "adjoint matrix" will take you to the conjugate transpose page.
The one I've mostly seen is the hermitian adjoint.
The one you get when you google for "determinant of adjoint" (i.e. in context) is the classical adjoint.

This makes sense - after all, what's the determinant of the conjugate transpose?

All of which tends to support Ray - term 'adjugate' is nearly as not as widespread as the Wiki article makes out.

Need to hear from OP.
|adj(A)|≠1 by any definition.

Simon Bridge said:
Why did you drop the identity matrix on the RHS in line 3?

I have: for any nxn non-singular matrix:
[tex]\newcommand{\bm}[1]{\mathbf{#1}}
\newcommand{\adj}[1]{{\mathbf{#1}}^{\dagger}}
\renewcommand{\det}[1]{|#1|}

|\bm{A}^\dagger| = |\bm{A}|^{n-1}[/tex]
I thnk you also want [itex]|k\bm{A}|=k^n|\bm{A}|[/itex] to go with [itex]\bm{A}\adj{A}=\det{\bm{A}}\bm{I}[/itex]

Whatever people are prepared to pay for it - in a market economy. Have you considered putting it up for auction :)

my third line was
A adj(A)=|A|I
[highlight]A-1A adj(A)=A-1|A|I[/highlight]
using AA-1=I
I adj(A)=A-1|A|
so here i am multiplying Identity matrix(I) with a matrix so it is self matrix.
AI=A; I think this statement is correct.(A and I are of same order)

I was unclear - apologies...[itex]\newcommand{\A}{\mathbf{A}} \newcommand{\I}{\mathbf{I}} \newcommand{\adj}[1]{{#1}^{\dagger}} \renewcommand{\det}[1]{|{#1}|}[/itex]

I had noticed you went from [itex]\A^{-1}\A \adj{\A}=\A^{-1}\det{\A}\I[/itex] to [itex]\I \adj{\A}=\A^{-1}\det{\A}[/itex] using [itex]\A \A^{-1}=\I[/itex]
vis:
A adj(A)=|A|I
A-1A adj(A)=A-1|A|I
using AA-1=I
I adj(A)=A-1|A|
You kept the I on the LHS but not on the RHS. That's all. This kind of thing alerts your marker to look more closely at this part of the reasoning... if you have made an arror it is likely to be close to that line. Let's see...

The strategy seems to be to get rid of an inconvenient A on the LHS at the expense of the losing the diagonalization on the RHS.
So I was wondering what you gained by this compared with just taking the determinant of both sides, right at the beginning, and exploiting the distributive property of determinants?
Wot-ho - continuing...

Since [itex]\det{k\A}=k^n\det{\A}[/itex] for an nxn matrix [itex]\A[/itex] ... when you do the next step: [itex]\det{\adj{\A}}=\det{\A^{-1}\det{\A}}=\det{\A}^n\det{\A^{-1}}[/itex] ... which is different from what you got. So when you put [itex]\det{\A}\det{\A^{-1}}=1[/itex] ...

1. What is the value of the determinant of the adjoint of a matrix?

The value of the determinant of the adjoint of a matrix is equal to the determinant of the original matrix raised to the power of its dimension minus one.

2. How is the determinant of the adjoint of a matrix calculated?

The determinant of the adjoint of a matrix can be calculated by taking the transpose of the matrix of cofactors, which is created by replacing each element in the original matrix with its corresponding minor and then applying the appropriate sign. The determinant of this matrix is then multiplied by the determinant of the original matrix.

3. What is the significance of the determinant of the adjoint of a matrix?

The determinant of the adjoint of a matrix is used to calculate the inverse of the matrix. It is also used in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as solving systems of linear equations and finding the area and volume of geometric shapes.

4. Can the determinant of the adjoint of a matrix be negative?

Yes, the determinant of the adjoint of a matrix can be negative. This can occur when the determinant of the original matrix is negative and the dimension of the matrix is odd, resulting in the determinant of the adjoint being negative.

5. What is the relationship between the determinant of the adjoint and the determinant of the original matrix?

The determinant of the adjoint of a matrix is equal to the determinant of the original matrix raised to the power of its dimension minus one. This means that the determinant of the original matrix is a factor in calculating the determinant of the adjoint.