What kind of components are these?

• Thread starter t3rom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Components
In summary, the conversation is about identifying the components of a box with a picture provided by the poster. It is mentioned that the box is located in a garage of a residential house and is used to automatically switch to alternative electricity sources when one becomes unavailable. Some concerns are raised about the safety of the setup and the use of electrical tape. The conversation ends with the poster stating that the box was installed by a qualified electrician who also uses electrical tape.
t3rom
It's just for educational purpose, not a homework question :)

Can you guys please identify all the five components/parts starting from the black socket like thing on the left for me? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 463
Engineering news on Phys.org
That looks like a fire waiting to happen.
It looks like two circuit breakers, two contactors with aux contacts, a relay and a timer.

Likes 1 person
t3rom said:
It's just for educational purpose, not a homework question :)

Can you guys please identify all the five components/parts starting from the black socket like thing on the left for me? Thanks in advance!

Where did you get the picture?

Likes 1 person
nsaspook said:
That looks like a fire waiting to happen.
It looks like two circuit breakers, two contactors with aux contacts, a relay and a timer.

Thanks for the reply, and I couldn't agree more! Unfortunately, things are this way in less developed countries.

berkeman said:
Where did you get the picture?

I took it myself.

t3rom said:
I took it myself.

And where was this box? Next to a swimming pool? In a factory? You are making the question harder by not offering any other details.

The easy way to do this yourself is to type the part numbers into google. For example, starting on the right type in PM4H-S and you will find it is a power on delay timer. Type in KC62E and you will learn that is a terminal block. Rinse and repeat.

Likes 1 person
Im having serious Deja Vue here

Have seen this identical pic and same question on this or another forum many many months ago

Dave

Last edited:
berkeman said:
And where was this box? Next to a swimming pool? In a factory? You are making the question harder by not offering any other details.

Berkeman, I'm sorry as you only asked me earlier where I got that picture from and I replied accordingly. Had you asked at what place I would've gladly told you :)

The box is in a garage of a residential house. It's not always open as it appears in the picture, it has two steel layers on top of it, one with buttons like on/off for average users to manually operate and switch to alternative load, the second steel layer has a lock so that no minor can open it.

Floid said:
The easy way to do this yourself is to type the part numbers into google. For example, starting on the right type in PM4H-S and you will find it is a power on delay timer. Type in KC62E and you will learn that is a terminal block. Rinse and repeat.

Thanks, that's a really awesome tip :)

davenn said:
Im having serious Deja Vue here

Have seen this identical pic and same question on this or another forum many many months ago

Dave

I can assure you I didn't post that one. I've posted this question only on this forum, and the picture I attached was taken by me the same day I asked this question :)

So is this box something just laying around that has been taken out of service or is it hooked up and supposed to be in service/working?

Averagesupernova said:
So is this box something just laying around that has been taken out of service or is it hooked up and supposed to be in service/working?

The box is hooked up and is in service, but from time to time the box stops switching to the alternative load automatically, an electrician had to be called up at that point. In the meantime the average users have to manually switch to alternative load by using simple on/off switches placed on the first steel layer. The wires you see in the pictures are coming from two different electric poles. The function of the box is to automatically switch to alternative source of electricity when one goes down/becomes unavailable.

Last edited:
It looks like
1) The black object on the left is a breaker (possibly a main shutoff/ OLP)
2) The white object between the black and grey things is a switch
3) The grey item is a 4 pole contactor with extra contacts ( looks like it is 2 NO/2NC)
4) Can't tell what the tan object is (wires are in the way/can't read terminal labels)
5) The clear item is a relay (from # of terminals on base i'd say 2pole double throw, and if i read coil voltage right 220v ac coil.
6) I believe floid answered this already.

Ps- unless you are familiar with the workings of these devices, and the operation of the setup, you should let a qualified person t-shoot this for safety sake.

Likes 1 person
wirenut said:
It looks like
1) The black object on the left is a breaker (possibly a main shutoff/ OLP)
2) The white object between the black and grey things is a switch
3) The grey item is a 4 pole contactor with extra contacts ( looks like it is 2 NO/2NC)
4) Can't tell what the tan object is (wires are in the way/can't read terminal labels)
5) The clear item is a relay (from # of terminals on base i'd say 2pole double throw, and if i read coil voltage right 220v ac coil.
6) I believe floid answered this already.

Thanks for the explanation wirenut! :)

wirenut said:
Ps- unless you are familiar with the workings of these devices, and the operation of the setup, you should let a qualified person t-shoot this for safety sake.

No, I'm not. This box was installed by a qualified electrician, and every time a problem arises he is called to fix it.

I hope that black tape they are using is actually rated for voltage (mine is rated for 600v.) Not all "electrical tape" that you see is rated for voltage, just something to keep in mind when you are working with or looking at that rats nest of wiring.

Also I second the fire comment.

Forensics said:
I hope that black tape they are using is actually rated for voltage (mine is rated for 600v.) Not all "electrical tape" that you see is rated for voltage, just something to keep in mind when you are working with or looking at that rats nest of wiring.

Also I second the fire comment.

I asked the electrician today, and he said he they do use electrical tape only.

Just for fun, can anybody translate the picture into a circuit? Just a rough abstract without the jungle of wires, a parallel circuit with a few wires only.

1. What exactly are components in science?

Components in science refer to the individual parts or elements that make up a larger system or object. These components can vary in size, shape, and function, but they all work together to create a cohesive whole.

2. How are components classified in science?

Components in science can be classified in various ways, depending on the specific field of study. They can be classified based on their physical properties, chemical composition, or function within a system. Components can also be classified as living or non-living, organic or inorganic, or as part of a specific group or category.

3. What are the different types of components?

There are many different types of components in science, each with its own unique characteristics and functions. Some common types of components include atoms, molecules, cells, tissues, organs, and systems. Other types of components may include chemical compounds, biological organisms, or even technological devices.

4. How do components interact with each other?

Components in science often interact with each other in complex ways. This can include physical interactions, such as when molecules bind together, or chemical reactions that occur between different components. Components can also interact through various forms of energy, such as light, heat, or electricity.

5. Why are components important in scientific research?

Components are essential in scientific research because they allow us to understand and analyze complex systems. By studying the individual components of a system, scientists can gain insights into how the system functions as a whole. Components also help scientists to identify patterns, relationships, and potential causes and effects within a system, leading to a deeper understanding of the natural world.