What kind of Electric Motor do I need?

In summary, the desired specifications for the DC motor are 2HP power, 400 Nm torque, 12V/24V voltage, 120 A current, and a gear reduction ratio of 25:1. The motor will be used to run two drive wheels with a diameter of .435m at a speed of 50rpm. The total weight being driven is 650kgs and the motor will operate at 1500rpm. The setup will use a worm drive arrangement and basic forward backward motion with on/off action is required. The question is whether to use a PMDC (Permanent Magnet) motor or a Servo Motor and whether to have one motor running both wheels or two separate motors. It is determined that
namith11
I am looking for a DC Motor with the given specifications:

Power: 2HP
Torque: 400 Nm
Voltage: 12V/24V
Current: 120 A
Number of Drive Wheels: 2
Diameter of drive wheels: .435m

Gear Reduction set up: Worm drive arrangement
Total weight being driven: 650kgs
Speed at motor: 1500rpm
Speed at wheels: 50rpm
Gear reduction ratio: 25:1

The motor will run the two driving wheels of a mobile trolley in which basic forward backward motion is required with on/off action. i want to know if i should go with a pmdc(Permanent Magnet) motor or a Servo Motor any why. Also, does it make more sense to have one motor that runs both wheels or should i use two separate motors to run the wheels separately.
Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Wow ... that is some weird motor (but then I don't have any experience with very high current DC motors). Have you even found any with that kind of spec (24V, 120amp) ?

Have you done a search on globalspec.com?

A automotive starter will come close to what you want. Keep in mind they are built for intermittent duty.

AceEngineer

An automotive off-road recovery winch motor might also fit the bill.

Hey,
I found a 12V, 120A motor. But I am trying to figure out if i should go with one motor to run both wheels or two motors(to run each wheel separately). Will I need a differential in both cases or only with the one motor setup? Cause steering will be done manually so I am worried that it will need enormous amounts of force to turn it round corners.
Also, I think i am going to go with the PMDC Motor cause it makes more sense.

Hey,
I found a 12V, 120A motor. But I am trying to figure out if i should go with one motor to run both wheels or two motors(to run each wheel separately). Will I need a differential in both cases or only with the one motor setup? Cause steering will be done manually so I am worried that it will need enormous amounts of force to turn it round corners.
Also, I think i am going to go with the PMDC Motor cause it makes more sense.

With a single motor you would need a differential, with two motors you would need to make sure the wheels could turn at different speeds while turning, which I think would be possible by simply limiting torque to the "inside" wheel while turning.

What kind of Electric Motor do I need?

1. What is the application or use case for the electric motor?

2. What is the required speed and torque for the application?

3. What is the power supply available for the motor?

4. What is the size and weight restrictions for the motor?

5. What is the budget for the motor and its maintenance?