What kind of Electric Motor do I need?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
namith11
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
I am looking for a DC Motor with the given specifications:

Power: 2HP
Torque: 400 Nm
Voltage: 12V/24V
Current: 120 A
Number of Drive Wheels: 2
Diameter of drive wheels: .435m

Gear Reduction set up: Worm drive arrangement
Total weight being driven: 650kgs
Speed at motor: 1500rpm
Speed at wheels: 50rpm
Gear reduction ratio: 25:1

The motor will run the two driving wheels of a mobile trolley in which basic forward backward motion is required with on/off action. i want to know if i should go with a pmdc(Permanent Magnet) motor or a Servo Motor any why. Also, does it make more sense to have one motor that runs both wheels or should i use two separate motors to run the wheels separately.
Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow ... that is some weird motor (but then I don't have any experience with very high current DC motors). Have you even found any with that kind of spec (24V, 120amp) ?
 
A automotive starter will come close to what you want. Keep in mind they are built for intermittent duty.

AceEngineer
 
Hey,
I found a 12V, 120A motor. But I am trying to figure out if i should go with one motor to run both wheels or two motors(to run each wheel separately). Will I need a differential in both cases or only with the one motor setup? Cause steering will be done manually so I am worried that it will need enormous amounts of force to turn it round corners.
Also, I think i am going to go with the PMDC Motor cause it makes more sense.
 
Hey,
I found a 12V, 120A motor. But I am trying to figure out if i should go with one motor to run both wheels or two motors(to run each wheel separately). Will I need a differential in both cases or only with the one motor setup? Cause steering will be done manually so I am worried that it will need enormous amounts of force to turn it round corners.
Also, I think i am going to go with the PMDC Motor cause it makes more sense.
 
With a single motor you would need a differential, with two motors you would need to make sure the wheels could turn at different speeds while turning, which I think would be possible by simply limiting torque to the "inside" wheel while turning.