Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What kind of Electric Motor do I need?

1. Jan 10, 2014 #1
    I am looking for a DC Motor with the given specifications:

Power: 2HP
    Torque: 400 Nm
    Voltage: 12V/24V
    Current: 120 A
    Number of Drive Wheels: 2
    Diameter of drive wheels: .435m

Gear Reduction set up: Worm drive arrangement
    Total weight being driven: 650kgs
    Speed at motor: 1500rpm
    Speed at wheels: 50rpm
    Gear reduction ratio: 25:1

The motor will run the two driving wheels of a mobile trolley in which basic forward backward motion is required with on/off action. i want to know if i should go with a pmdc(Permanent Magnet) motor or a Servo Motor any why. Also, does it make more sense to have one motor that runs both wheels or should i use two separate motors to run the wheels separately.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Wow ... that is some weird motor (but then I don't have any experience with very high current DC motors). Have you even found any with that kind of spec (24V, 120amp) ?

4. Jan 10, 2014 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you done a search on globalspec.com?

5. Jan 10, 2014 #4
    A automotive starter will come close to what you want. Keep in mind they are built for intermittent duty.

AceEngineer

6. Jan 11, 2014 #5

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An automotive off-road recovery winch motor might also fit the bill.

7. Jan 12, 2014 #6
    Hey,
    I found a 12V, 120A motor. But I am trying to figure out if i should go with one motor to run both wheels or two motors(to run each wheel separately). Will I need a differential in both cases or only with the one motor setup? Cause steering will be done manually so I am worried that it will need enormous amounts of force to turn it round corners.
    Also, I think i am going to go with the PMDC Motor cause it makes more sense.

8. Jan 12, 2014 #7
    Hey,
    I found a 12V, 120A motor. But I am trying to figure out if i should go with one motor to run both wheels or two motors(to run each wheel separately). Will I need a differential in both cases or only with the one motor setup? Cause steering will be done manually so I am worried that it will need enormous amounts of force to turn it round corners.
    Also, I think i am going to go with the PMDC Motor cause it makes more sense.

9. Jan 15, 2014 #8

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With a single motor you would need a differential, with two motors you would need to make sure the wheels could turn at different speeds while turning, which I think would be possible by simply limiting torque to the "inside" wheel while turning.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook