What kind of integration is this?

• Thread starter Ballistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses a script given with equations for velocity and distance using two different integration methods. The individual is unsure of which method is used for which equation and asks for clarification, ultimately realizing they were misled by the homework request. The discussion also mentions the possibility of using Euler and trapezoidal methods for ordinary differential equations.
Ballistic

Homework Statement

I'm given with the following script:

Code:
for ii = 2:length(x_time)
    V(ii)                   = V(ii-1) - (forces_x(ii-1)./w) * g .* dt;                                        
    D(ii)                   = 0.5 .* rho .* V(ii).^2 * s * Cd;                    
    R(ii)                   = (not relevant);
    F(ii)                   = 2 .* Cf(ii) .* R(ii);                              
    forces_x(ii)         = (F(ii) + D(ii)) - T(ii);                 
    distance(ii)         = distance(ii-1) + .5 .* (V(ii) + V(ii-1)) .* dt;           
    deceleration(ii)   = (V(ii) - V(ii-1))./dt;                               
end

Homework Equations

Above I've reported only the relevant equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm asked to state what kind of integration is this.

I don't know really how to answer, I was thinking about Euler-method, but right now I am a bit confused.Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Two methods are being used, one method for velocity, and another method for distance. Perhaps that is why you're not sure?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you please tell me which is the method for the velocity and which one is for the distance?

Thanks for the help!

Ballistic said:
Can you please tell me which is the method for the velocity and which one is for the distance?
Note the key equations being used for velocity and distance are essentially these equations:

v = v[i-1] + a Δt

d = d[i-1] + 1/2 (v + v[i-1]) Δt

Exactly! Thanks again!

But what's the name (e.g. Runge-Kutta, Euler, ecc.) of this integration methods, if they have any?

Yessir, I think I was mislead from the homework request.

Thank you for your very accurate answers!

1. What is integration?

Integration refers to the process of combining different components or systems together to create a unified whole. In science, integration often involves combining data or theories from various fields to gain a more comprehensive understanding of a phenomenon.

2. What are the different types of integration?

There are several types of integration, including numerical integration, functional integration, and statistical integration. In science, integration can also refer to interdisciplinary or multidisciplinary approaches that combine different fields of study.

3. How is integration used in science?

In science, integration is used to combine different pieces of information or theories to create a more complete understanding of a phenomenon. This can involve integrating data from different experiments, combining theories from different fields, or using interdisciplinary approaches to tackle complex problems.

4. What kind of integration is used in data analysis?

In data analysis, numerical integration is often used to calculate the area under a curve or to estimate the value of a function at a specific point. This type of integration is also used in statistical analysis to determine the probability of certain events occurring.

5. How does integration contribute to scientific advancements?

Integration plays a crucial role in scientific advancements by allowing researchers to combine knowledge from different fields and make connections between seemingly unrelated concepts. This can lead to new discoveries and a deeper understanding of natural phenomena.