What kind of operations are allowed on derivatives?

In summary, the student is struggling with understanding the use of specific rules when dealing with derivatives in calculus II, especially in physics. They have been playing with relations and have gotten unacceptable results, but are unsure of how many operations they did incorrectly. They also have questions about the use of notation in physics and the meaning of exterior differentials and 0-forms.
madah12

Homework Statement

I just started in calculus ii ,and I remember that most I didn't use specific rules when dealing with derivatives and I sometimes managed to get away with it(especially in physics. now I have been playing with relations and I got unacceptable results so i will post what I did ( even if all of it is wrong)
let y=f(x)
y''=dy'/dx=dy'/dy dy/dx
=y' dy'/dy
y''/y'=dy'/dy
1/y' *dy'/dx = dy'/dy
1/y' dy' = dy'/dy *dx
1/y' dy' = d/dy * dy/dx *dx
and I canceled the dy and the dx
and got
ln(y')=1
I know this is stupid but how many operations I did were wrong?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
madah12 said:

Homework Statement

I just started in calculus ii ,and I remember that most I didn't use specific rules when dealing with derivatives and I sometimes managed to get away with it(especially in physics. now I have been playing with relations and I got unacceptable results so i will post what I did ( even if all of it is wrong)
let y=f(x)
y''=dy'/dx=dy'/dy dy/dx

How did you go from dy'/dx to (dy'/dx)*(dy/dx )

I didnt go from dy'/dx to (dy'/dx)*(dy/dx) i went from dy'/dx to dy'/dy dy/dx

dy'/dy makes no sense. y' and y are independent <variables> (functions of x).

umm what about dv/dx in physics it would be meaningful to say the rate of the change of velocity with respect to the displacement is ... right?

No, no, you're using redundant notation and the integration is wrong

Let's use the notations in physics, because they have different letters.

[tex] a= \frac{1}{2}\frac{dv^2}{dx} [/tex] but this happens only through v(t) => v(t(x)). Then

[tex] \frac{a}{v} = \frac{dv}{dx} [/tex] then

[tex] \frac{1}{v}\frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dv}{dt} \frac{1}{\frac{dx}{dt}} = \frac{1}{v}\frac{dv}{dt} [/tex]

redundancy.

OK, let's choose your expression

[tex] \frac{1}{v} \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dv}{dx} [/tex]. Multiply by the 1-form dt and integrate on a path in the v-line (LHS) and in the t-line (RHS)

[tex] \ln v(t) + C = \int\left[\left(\frac{dv(x)}{dx}\right)(t)\right] \, dt [/tex]

There's no 1 in the RHS. First you compute the derivative of v wrt x and consider the result as a function of t.

Last edited:
in the last line in the right hand side you wrote
integral dv(x)/dx (t)dt

what does the (t) after /dx indicate?

The dependence of t of the function after differentiation. I edited the formula to make it clearer.

madah12 said:
1/y' dy' = dy'/dy *dx
and got
ln(y')=1

dy'/dy This is the derivative of y' WRT y, where y'=dy/dx In the second line you write it as:
d/dy * dy/dx . However, that's not a multiplication. d/dy is an "operator", so you can't cancel dy. This is the rate of change in y' WRT y.

SammyS said:
dy'/dy This is the derivative of y' WRT y, where y'=dy/dx In the second line you write it as:
d/dy * dy/dx . However, that's not a multiplication. d/dy is an "operator", so you can't cancel dy. This is the rate of change in y' WRT y.

how do we know when it is a multiplication and when is it an operation I mean when you have
av=vdv/dt
<=> adx/dt = vdv/dt
you can cancel it out to get adx=vdv
which gives you vf^2 - vi^2=2ax

1. The last integration follows iff the a is a constant.
2. The <dt> doesn't cancel out, because it's not a denominator of a fraction. Instead one has

[tex] a \frac{dx}{dt} = v \frac{dv}{dt} \Leftrightarrow a x'(t) = v v'(t) [/tex]

which is an equality between 0-forms. Multiply by the 1 form dt in both terms and then

[tex] a x'(t) dt = v v'(t) dt [/tex].

Now use the definition of an exterior differential acting on a 0-form and have

[tex] a dx = v dv [/tex].

If a is constant (or a known function of <x>), then the integration can be perfomed in both sides of the last equation.

what is the exterior differential acting on a 0-form ? and what is a 0 form

That's part of the geometric interpretation of calculus. It's learned in a differential geometry class. For simplicity, you can do without though and assume dy(x) to be the differential of the function y(x) and is defined through

[tex] dy(x) = y'(x) dx [/tex]

where dx is the differential of the variable x.

madah12 said:

Homework Statement

let y=f(x)
y''=dy'/dx=dy'/dy dy/dx
=y' dy'/dy
y''/y'=dy'/dy
1/y' *dy'/dx = dy'/dy
1/y' dy' = dy'/dy *dx
You have an error here. You have (1/y')dy= d/dy(dy/dx) dx
That is, the "dy/dx" is inside the "d/dy" not just "multiplied by it".
You cannot cancel the "dx"s here.

and got
ln(y')=1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a financial instrument that derives its value from an underlying asset, such as a stock, commodity, or currency. It is a contract between two parties that specifies the conditions of the underlying asset's price at a future date.

2. What are the types of derivatives?

The most common types of derivatives include futures, options, swaps, and forwards. Futures are contracts to buy or sell an asset at a predetermined price and date, while options give the holder the right, but not the obligation, to buy or sell an asset at a specified price. Swaps are agreements to exchange cash flows based on different interest rates or currencies, and forwards are contracts to buy or sell an asset at a future date at a predetermined price.

3. What kind of operations are allowed on derivatives?

There are various operations allowed on derivatives, depending on the type of derivative. Some common operations include buying and selling derivatives, hedging positions, and using derivatives as a speculative investment. Different types of derivatives also allow for different strategies, such as using options for hedging or trading futures contracts to speculate on price movements.

4. What are the risks associated with derivatives?

Derivatives can be highly leveraged financial instruments, meaning that a small change in the price of the underlying asset can result in a large gain or loss. This makes them a high-risk investment and can result in significant losses if not managed properly. Additionally, derivatives are subject to counterparty risk, which is the risk that the other party involved in the contract will default on their obligations.

5. How are derivatives regulated?

Derivatives are primarily regulated by government agencies, such as the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) in the United States. These agencies implement rules and regulations to protect investors and ensure fair and transparent markets. Additionally, many exchanges and clearinghouses have their own regulations and oversight processes for derivatives trading.