What makes a ball curve when thrown?

• Thread starter DyslexicHobo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Curve
In summary, the conversation discusses the theories behind the spin of a golf ball and how it affects its trajectory. The initial theory suggests that the spin of the ball creates a higher pressure area in front of the ball, causing it to move towards a lower pressure area. However, this theory fails to explain backspin, which causes the ball to curve upwards. The correct explanation involves the dimples on the ball interacting with the surrounding air, creating a low pressure area and causing the ball to curve in the direction of the spin. Bernoulli's principle is often used to explain this phenomenon. More information can be found in the provided link and in the thread discussing the table tennis paradox.
DyslexicHobo
I was golfing the other day, and I was trying to adjust for the hook in my ball. I figured that the area in front of the ball would have a higher concentration of air molecules (more pressure); because of this, I figured that the ball's spin would grab air molecules and bring them in the direction which the front of the ball was moving, creating higher pressure where the air was being taken; because of this, I figured that the ball would go towards the area of lower pressure. However, my intuition seems to have failed.

Backspin sends the ball upwards, giving it more hangtime. This doesn't work with my theory. Can someone explain to me why I am wrong, and how this actually occurs?

Physics news on Phys.org
The spin makes the ball curve as a result of the interaction of the dimples in the ball with the surrounding air. A low pressure area is created due to the increased velocity of flow which is due to the spin. The ball will curve in the direction of the spin.

There are different theories as to why this happens...Bernoulli's principle is often used...

Check out this link for more info...(scroll toward the bottom of the page).

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pber.html

Take a look at this thread:

table tennis paradox

1. What is the Magnus effect?

The Magnus effect is the force that causes a spinning object, such as a ball, to curve while in flight. This effect is caused by differences in air pressure on opposite sides of the spinning object.

2. How does spin affect the trajectory of a ball?

Spin creates a difference in air pressure, resulting in a sideways force that causes the ball to move in a curved path. The direction and amount of spin determine the direction and degree of the curve.

3. Does the speed of the ball affect its curve?

Yes, the speed of the ball can affect its curve, but it is not the main factor. The spin and the characteristics of the ball, such as its shape and surface texture, have a larger impact on the trajectory.

4. Can a ball curve without spin?

No, a ball cannot curve without spin. Without spin, the ball will follow a straight path due to the force of gravity. It is the Magnus effect caused by spin that creates the curve in the ball's trajectory.

5. How do different factors, such as air density and temperature, affect a ball's curve?

Air density and temperature can affect a ball's curve by altering the air pressure around the ball. Higher air density and lower temperatures can increase the Magnus effect, resulting in a greater curve. On the other hand, lower air density and higher temperatures can decrease the Magnus effect, resulting in a smaller curve.