What Materials and Calculations Are Best for Building a Micro Motor?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
ugsquish
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Ok, I want to start by saying I have been out of this field for some time and I have regrettably lost a lot of my knowledge. So I may require a little patients, but here it goes.
I am wanting to construct a micro motor. I was trying to decide on what materials to make the internal electromagnets from for max capability.
I want the motor to be no more then 1/2" in height & 1.5-2" diameter. what materials should i use and what calculations should i use to calculate amperage input to lb output of the motor.
i realize it may be asking a lot but I hope you all can help :)
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
there are plenty of examples of small motors like that
any hobby shop sells them ... buy one ... pull it apart and find out how they do it and see if you have the capability to reproduce that.
I suggest it will be very difficult for some one to do at home

Dave
 
Thank you for your reply. I will look into your sugjestion.
 
ugsquish said:
Ok, I want to start by saying I have been out of this field for some time and I have regrettably lost a lot of my knowledge. So I may require a little patients, but here it goes.
I am wanting to construct a micro motor. I was trying to decide on what materials to make the internal electromagnets from for max capability.
I want the motor to be no more then 1/2" in height & 1.5-2" diameter. what materials should i use and what calculations should i use to calculate amperage input to lb output of the motor.
i realize it may be asking a lot but I hope you all can help :)

Time was when people used to home-build a lot of electrical items. These days, small items are so well designed and perform so well (often for pennies) that it's just not worth trying to do what hi tech assembly can do easily. Tiny motors are fantastic these days. Don't try to compete - but there's everything to be said for trying to make a motor that 'actually works' from simple materials. Then buy one for your application!
 


Hello, thank you for reaching out. It's great that you are interested in constructing a micro motor and I am happy to assist you with your questions.

To determine the best materials for your internal electromagnets, you will need to consider several factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the magnets, and the power consumption. Some common materials used for electromagnets include iron, steel, and certain types of alloys. These materials have high magnetic permeability, which means they can be easily magnetized and demagnetized.

To calculate the amperage input and lb output of the motor, you will need to use the following equations:

1. Ampere's Law: This law states that the magnetic field created by an electric current is directly proportional to the current and the number of turns in the coil. The equation is B = μ0 * N * I, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the coil, and I is the current.

2. Force on a current-carrying conductor in a magnetic field: This equation helps determine the force exerted on a conductor placed in a magnetic field. The equation is F = B * I * l, where F is the force, B is the magnetic field, I is the current, and l is the length of the conductor.

3. Torque on a current loop in a magnetic field: This equation is used to calculate the torque on a current-carrying loop placed in a magnetic field. The equation is τ = B * I * A * sinθ, where τ is the torque, B is the magnetic field, I is the current, A is the area of the loop, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop.

Using these equations, you can calculate the required current and magnetic field strength for your micro motor. Additionally, you can also consider using permanent magnets in combination with the electromagnets to increase the overall strength and efficiency of the motor.

I hope this information helps you in your project. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your micro motor construction!