What materials block RF interference?

In summary, copper foil tape or conductive paint can be used to shield the body cavities of an electric guitar from RF interference.
Sonance
My interest is in reducing RF interference in electric guitars in RF-noisy environments by shielding the body cavities with sheet metal.
Would copper sheeting block RF?
Or would it need to be some ferric material?
I imagine aluminum alloy would be RF-transparent - is that true?
Ideally, I would like some material that comes in thin flexible sheets and is easy to obtain.
Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Any conductive material will reduce stray RF interference. Depending on the frequency of the RF, the 'box' does not even need to be solid.

See Faraday Cage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage"

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're just trying to filter the RF out of the audio then you could also use a RF filter circuit on the audio out line.

Sonance said:
My interest is in reducing RF interference in electric guitars in RF-noisy environments by shielding the body cavities with sheet metal.
Ideally, I would like some material that comes in thin flexible sheets and is easy to obtain.
Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance.
Stewart MacDonald Sells copper foil tape and conductive paint for that purpose. Make sure that your guitar's bridge is connected to the shielding, too.

http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/haze...IT_ACTION_SEARCH.x=0&SUBMIT_ACTION_SEARCH.y=0

audio was never really my thing, but i don't think most of your noise will be coming from "stray RF". those frequencies are mostly too high for you to even hear. most of it should be directly coupled in from the AC power supplies (60 and 120Hz noise) and inductively and capacitively coupled to the system through cabling. things like ground loops may give you more grief than RF.

Proton Soup said:
audio was never really my thing, but i don't think most of your noise will be coming from "stray RF". those frequencies are mostly too high for you to even hear. most of it should be directly coupled in from the AC power supplies (60 and 120Hz noise) and inductively and capacitively coupled to the system through cabling. things like ground loops may give you more grief than RF.

I agree. See my other thread here about an AC problem I'm having in an audio circuit of my own. the interesting thing is that right now that project is a bare PC board on my desk, with long, untwisted wires (i.e. antennae) to the control and gain pots, running under flourescent lights. Doesn't get much more exposed than that. I get almost no observable audio noise at all, even with the gains maxed out. (I do get some strange rogue AC artifact injected, but that's a different issue...)

The noisiest bars that I played in usually had lights on dimmers. Turn those lights off or all the way up, and the interference went away. And yes, it was 60-120 cycle stuff that can get really grating, especially if you're using single-coil pickups. Grabbing a guitar equipped with humbuckers helped, but some of my favorite tones come from Gibson soap-bars and Strat single-coils.

Proton Soup said:

I have to disagree, I've done audio work before, I've heard line voltage and other noises in that range after amplification. The circuit for filtering it is pretty simple.

Last edited:
What filter specs do you suggest? Ckt Diagram? Thx.

Well there's two ways of doing it, with an IC, and with an Inductor.

The schematic for the inductor style is at my school, I'll fetch it and post it up here. In the mean time here is a site that has several IC schematics.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/roma/nine.html

I suggest going with the inductor style, so much simpler.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd rather BLOCK as much RF as possible rather than filter it out after it's been picked up. Also, I apologize but I was using "RF interference" rather sloppily to refer to any Electro-Magnetic Interference, which includes mains hum, which is 50 Hz here in Australia, so that makes it "audio-frequency RF" if you will forgive the apparent contradiction. And 50 Hz is well within the range of the notes output by a guitar, (I think a bass guitar goes down to about 12Hz) so a filter would be counter productive.

That "copper foil tape" suggestion is a great idea. I'll give that a shot. Thank you.

Ok, well then if it's in the 50Hz range then you'd be better trying to block it in the first place. Shielding the guitar would be a start, but if possible you might consider trying to also shield your amp and any other devices in the room, so less interference leaves the device.

Sonance said:
Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance.

if the foil tape doesn't work then build this really simple circuit http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/circuits/opamp_notch_filter/opamp_notch_filter.php" it even gives you the values to use for the capacitors and resistors to block 50Hz.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is RF interference and why is it a concern?

RF interference, or radio frequency interference, is the disruption or disturbance of communication signals caused by the presence of unwanted electromagnetic signals. It can result in poor signal quality, dropped calls, and data loss in devices such as phones, TVs, and radios. This interference can be caused by various sources, such as electronic devices, power lines, or even weather conditions.

2. What materials are known to block RF interference?

Materials that are known to block RF interference include metals, conductive fabrics, and conductive paints. These materials have high conductivity, which allows them to absorb or reflect electromagnetic waves, preventing them from reaching the device and causing interference.

3. How does the thickness of a material affect its ability to block RF interference?

The thickness of a material can affect its ability to block RF interference. Generally, thicker materials have a higher ability to block RF interference as they provide a greater barrier for the electromagnetic waves to pass through. However, the thickness alone is not the only determining factor, as the material's conductivity and frequency of the interference also play a role.

4. Are there any non-metallic materials that can block RF interference?

Yes, there are non-metallic materials that can block RF interference. For example, carbon-based materials, such as conductive carbon tape or carbon fiber, are known to have high conductivity and can effectively block RF interference. Additionally, certain types of ceramics and polymers can also provide some level of RF interference shielding.

5. Is there a specific material that is considered the best for blocking RF interference?

There is no single material that can be considered the best for blocking RF interference in all situations. The effectiveness of a material in blocking RF interference depends on various factors, such as the frequency of the interference, the strength of the signal, and the specific device being protected. It is best to consult with a professional and conduct proper testing to determine the most suitable material for a specific situation.