What order should we take when calculating QFT amplitudes?

In summary: Many (most?) perturbation expansions in physics do not converge. They are asymptotic series, meaning that taking finitely many terms gives you an increasingly better answer, but then the series begins to diverge. This is true for most Feynman diagram expansions in QFT as well. This can sometimes be handled using resumption methods.
davidge
I have been reading about QFT amplitudes. It seems that difficulty increases as we consider more and more terms in the Dyson's expansion for the Scattering operator, and we need to normalize each of them if we want to get a sensible result.

My question is, nature usually uses what order? I mean, what type of Feynman diagrams "is most used by nature"? I imagine that she randomly uses any order for a same type of interaction, at each time. So my question would be better posed as, what type of Feynman diagram occurs with more frequency?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nature does not throw a dice and then chouses a diagram to follow. Feynman diagrams are terms in a perturbative expansion, meaning that for every interaction, all diagrams are used by nature simultaneously.

If you're lucky, each additional vertex factor makes the contribution of that diagram smaller, so that the series converges and you can take some cutoff and neglect the most exotic diagrams.

Likes PeterDonis
So should we use expansion in all orders in any and every case we are eventually considering?

Thanks, sandy.

I didn't want to post a message in that thread, because they are masters and I'm a noob.

From what I read, it seems that those calculations are computer-made. The calculation goes for, say, 430 loops. Is it correct?

I doubt I know any more about the subject than you do. I just thought you might find the info you were looking for in that thread.

Likes davidge
Ah, ok

davidge said:
should we use expansion in all orders in any and every case we are eventually considering?

No, because there are an infinite number of orders, and in most cases you can't find a closed-form formula that sums up all of the infinite number of contributions. The best you can do is, as @thephystudent said in post #2, to hope that the terms get smaller as you go to higher and higher orders, so you can cut off the sum at some finite (and reasonably small) order and still get an answer that's a good approximation to the true one. Computer calculations help you to be able to extend this out to more orders before the computation becomes intractable.

Likes davidge
This answer my question.
Thanks

Many (most?) perturbation expansions in physics do not converge. They are asymptotic series, meaning that taking finitely many terms gives you an increasingly better answer, but then the series begins to diverge. This is true for most Feynman diagram expansions in QFT as well. This can sometimes be handled using resumption methods.

Likes davidge
davidge said:
From what I read, it seems that those calculations are computer-made. The calculation goes for, say, 430 loops. Is it correct?
The 430 discussed there was a purely theoretical exercise, we have no way of calculating things like that.
5 loops have been done, but only for one particular process where extreme precision is necessary.

Typically calculations are NLO (next to leading order) or NNLO. A few processes have been calculated with NNNLO precision, while some Monte Carlo generators might still work with LO.
As rule of thumb for measurements done at the LHC: LO gives you a rough idea how frequent the process is, NLO gives you a good estimate, and NNLO adds a good estimate about the uncertainty of the calculation.

Likes davidge
king vitamin said:
They are asymptotic series, meaning that taking finitely many terms gives you an increasingly better answer, but then the series begins to diverge.

That's not what an asymptotic series is, nor is it the typical behavior in a Dyson series.

Vanadium 50 said:
That's not what an asymptotic series is, nor is it the typical behavior in a Dyson series.

Perhaps you are misinterpreting my post? I meant that an asymptotic series gives a good estimate after truncating a particular number of terms, and begins to become a worse approximation after that. Both QED and phi^4 theory have this property (as well as perturbing the quantum 1D simple harmonic oscillator with an x^4 term in QM). What I am saying is not anything different than the first sentence in Wikipedia's definition of an asymptotic series, or what Urs Schreiber says here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...rimental-relevance.924921/page-2#post-5840472

Related to What order should we take when calculating QFT amplitudes?

1. What is the first step in calculating QFT amplitudes?

The first step in calculating QFT amplitudes is to identify the physical process or interaction that is being described. This will determine the specific Feynman diagrams that need to be constructed.

2. How do we determine the order of the Feynman diagrams in QFT amplitude calculations?

The order of the Feynman diagrams is determined by the coupling constants or interaction strengths involved in the physical process. The higher the order of the diagram, the smaller the corresponding coupling constant.

3. Can the order of the Feynman diagrams change during the calculation of QFT amplitudes?

Yes, the order of the diagrams can change during the calculation as higher order diagrams may become important. This is known as "loop corrections" and they are necessary for precise calculations.

4. How do we take into account the effects of virtual particles in QFT amplitude calculations?

In QFT, virtual particles are considered "off-shell" and their effects are taken into account by summing over all possible virtual particles in the corresponding Feynman diagrams.

5. What is the final step in calculating QFT amplitudes?

The final step in calculating QFT amplitudes is to combine the results from all relevant Feynman diagrams and calculate the overall amplitude. This amplitude can then be used to make predictions for the physical process being studied.