What % reduction in gas flow results from changing to LPG?

In summary, the flame temperature of both gases will be the same, but the volume rate consumption will differ due to the difference in calorific value.
pkc111
TL;DR Summary
My Rubens Tube is running on natural gas and I am having some problems that maybe related to high gas speed in the tube. I am hoping that changing to LPG may reduce this gas speed problem a lot.
There are 70 jets of 1/16" diameter along the tube and I neeed to create flames 1" high.
I know the calorific value of natural gas is much less than LPG (39 MJ/m3 Vs 93 MJ/m3) . I am not sure what assumptions to make from there in order to compare the predicted natural gas to the LPG volume rate consumption? Ie will a 1 inch flame of both gases consume the same m3/h or does it work that both 1 inch flames of each gas type produce the same MJ/h? I have read that the flame temperature of both gases is around 3550F if that helps?
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
The flame temperature of both gases will be the same, but the volume rate consumption will be different. Natural gas has a lower calorific value than LPG, so it will generally require more m3/h to produce the same amount of heat. You can calculate the volume rate consumption of each gas by dividing the calorific value (in MJ/m3) by the flame temperature (in Kelvin). For example, for natural gas, you would divide 39 MJ/m3 by 5810 Kelvin, which would give you 0.0067 m3/h. For LPG you would divide 93 MJ/m3 by 5810 Kelvin, which would give you 0.0159 m3/h. So in this case, the LPG flame would require more than double the volume rate consumption of natural gas to produce the same amount of heat.

1. What is LPG?

LPG stands for liquefied petroleum gas. It is a mixture of propane and butane gases that are compressed into a liquid form for storage and transportation.

2. How is LPG different from gasoline?

LPG is a cleaner burning fuel compared to gasoline, producing lower levels of harmful emissions. It also has a higher octane rating, resulting in better engine performance and fuel efficiency.

3. What is the % reduction in gas flow when using LPG?

The % reduction in gas flow when using LPG depends on various factors such as the type of engine and the quality of LPG used. On average, there is a 10-15% reduction in gas flow when using LPG compared to gasoline.

4. Are there any other benefits to using LPG besides reduced gas flow?

Yes, there are several other benefits to using LPG. It is a more cost-effective fuel compared to gasoline, and it also has a longer shelf life. Additionally, LPG is a versatile fuel that can be used for a variety of applications such as cooking, heating, and transportation.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using LPG?

One potential drawback of using LPG is that it requires specialized equipment and infrastructure for storage and distribution. This can make it less accessible in some areas. Additionally, there may be a slight decrease in engine power when using LPG compared to gasoline.