What Should I Minor in for an Electrical Engineering Degree?

• Thread starter red123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minor
In summary, If you're an electrical engineering major and interested in computational mathematics and computer science, it can be beneficial to also have knowledge in mechanical engineering, industrial control systems, and boiler systems. This can help in understanding various aspects of engineering and may also be useful when working with other engineers in a plant setting. Additionally, learning about PLC's, specifically Allen Bradley, can be beneficial as it is considered the easiest to learn and is widely used in North America.
red123
What's the best minor for electrical engineering major? I'm interested in computational mathemetics and computer science.

Engineering news on Phys.org
As I'm not an engineer, being an Industrial electronics Tech I cannot describe specific coursing. However I've worked with numerous electrical engineers. Severeal things I've noticed.

1) plants tend to say "see the engineer about that problem regardless if its structural, mechanical etc.

2) Some electrical engineers understand advanced motion control systems, some don't.

so my advice is learn whatever you can about mechanical engineering, Industrial control systems (including plc's ). pneumatics, hydraulics, plumbing etc.
With your interest in computers learning PLC's is one recommendation, Common PLC manufactures in North America is Allen Bradley, Seimens PLC's is used extensively in oil field applications however other names are Omron Telemechanique etc. Allen Bradley is considered the easiest one to learn from however.
Boiler systems are also handy

What should I minor in?

Choosing a minor can be a difficult decision, but here are the top five questions to consider when deciding what to minor in.

1. What is the purpose of a minor?

A minor is an optional secondary field of study that complements your major and allows you to explore other areas of interest. It can enhance your skills and knowledge and make you a more well-rounded student.

2. Should my minor be related to my major?

It is not necessary for your minor to be directly related to your major. In fact, choosing a minor in a different field can provide a diverse skill set and make you stand out to potential employers.

3. How do I choose a minor?

Consider your interests and future career goals when choosing a minor. You can also talk to your academic advisor, explore the course offerings, and take introductory courses in different subjects to help you decide.

4. Can I have more than one minor?

Yes, it is possible to have more than one minor. However, this may require you to take additional courses and may extend your time in college. It is important to carefully consider your workload and academic goals before deciding on multiple minors.

5. Do minors matter to employers?

Minors can be beneficial in showing your versatility and diverse skill set to employers. However, they may not hold as much weight as your major and experience in your field. It is important to highlight your minor and how it relates to your major and career goals during job interviews.