What to do after obtaining my undergraduate degrees - Math and CIS

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
smize
Messages
78
Reaction score
1
I am currently attending IUPUI for a double major in Pure Mathematics and Computer & Information Science with a double minor in German and Physics. Overall this will take me 4 1/2 years and give me $38,000-$45,000 of debt.

1. I am wondering, which masters degree should I go for first? Math or CIS?

2. Any advice on where to look for careers with these degrees? I have contemplated Crytography; what are some other career possibilities with this education?

3. Advice on getting a doctorate in Mathematics and a masters in CIS? Or going for a third bachelors degree in German or Physics?

Any advice would be appreciated. Also, advice on what to do while attending my university would be appreciated as well.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
smize said:
I am currently attending IUPUI for a double major in Pure Mathematics and Computer & Information Science with a double minor in German and Physics. Overall this will take me 4 1/2 years and give me $38,000-$45,000 of debt.

1. I am wondering, which masters degree should I go for first? Math or CIS?

Figure out what you might want to do first before you commit to degrees.

2. Any advice on where to look for careers with these degrees? I have contemplated Crytography; what are some other career possibilities with this education?

Talk to real recruiters at career fairs.

3. Advice on getting a doctorate in Mathematics and a masters in CIS? Or going for a third bachelors degree in German or Physics?

Any advice would be appreciated. Also, advice on what to do while attending my university would be appreciated as well.

Learn politics, economy and history. Don't just take courses. Actively figure out what has happened before.

Do some internships.
 
mayonaise said:
Figure out what you might want to do first before you commit to degrees.

I am very flexible with what I want to do, but I know I'm interested in Math & Computer Science both. I am not for sure what in the fields, precisely, I want to do. Which is why I'm here to ask about what are good fields combining them.

mayonaise said:
Talk to real recruiters at career fairs.

I'll look into that. I honestly never thought about it (not meaning for it to sound sarcastic. Seriously, I haven't).

mayonaise said:
Learn politics, economy and history. Don't just take courses. Actively figure out what has happened before.

Once again, that is why I'm here in the "Career Guidance" forum where several people have learned the politics, economics, and history as well as EXPERIENCED what has happened before. I was hoping they might share some more elaborate advice.
 
To the OP:

The first question I would want to ask you is whether you have an interest in ultimately pursuing a PhD, whether in Math or Computer Science. If so, then I would suggest you consider simply applying directly to a PhD program, since in the US (unlike in Canada and many other countries), students tend to go directly from an undergraduate program into their PhD.

Now on the second question about which field to pursue, this will depend very much on what field you are more interested in -- Math or Computer Science. If your passion is for cryptography, then either a Computer Science PhD or a Math/Applied Math PhD (perhaps specializing in Discrete Mathematics) could be for you. One possibility is to pursue a Math or Applied Math PhD, while simultaneously pursuing a MS in Computer Science (a number of schools allow this possibility).