What to do after obtaining my undergraduate degrees - Math and CIS

In summary: If you are more interested in Mathematics, then a Math PhD may be a better option. However, there are a number of other fields that could be a good fit as well, such as Engineering, Statistics, or even Linguistics. So it really just depends on your interests and what would be the best route for you.
smize
I am currently attending IUPUI for a double major in Pure Mathematics and Computer & Information Science with a double minor in German and Physics. Overall this will take me 4 1/2 years and give me $38,000-$45,000 of debt.

1. I am wondering, which masters degree should I go for first? Math or CIS?

2. Any advice on where to look for careers with these degrees? I have contemplated Crytography; what are some other career possibilities with this education?

3. Advice on getting a doctorate in Mathematics and a masters in CIS? Or going for a third bachelors degree in German or Physics?

Any advice would be appreciated. Also, advice on what to do while attending my university would be appreciated as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
smize said:
I am currently attending IUPUI for a double major in Pure Mathematics and Computer & Information Science with a double minor in German and Physics. Overall this will take me 4 1/2 years and give me $38,000-$45,000 of debt.

1. I am wondering, which masters degree should I go for first? Math or CIS?

Figure out what you might want to do first before you commit to degrees.

2. Any advice on where to look for careers with these degrees? I have contemplated Crytography; what are some other career possibilities with this education?

Talk to real recruiters at career fairs.

3. Advice on getting a doctorate in Mathematics and a masters in CIS? Or going for a third bachelors degree in German or Physics?

Any advice would be appreciated. Also, advice on what to do while attending my university would be appreciated as well.

Learn politics, economy and history. Don't just take courses. Actively figure out what has happened before.

Do some internships.

mayonaise said:
Figure out what you might want to do first before you commit to degrees.

I am very flexible with what I want to do, but I know I'm interested in Math & Computer Science both. I am not for sure what in the fields, precisely, I want to do. Which is why I'm here to ask about what are good fields combining them.

mayonaise said:
Talk to real recruiters at career fairs.

I'll look into that. I honestly never thought about it (not meaning for it to sound sarcastic. Seriously, I haven't).

mayonaise said:
Learn politics, economy and history. Don't just take courses. Actively figure out what has happened before.

Once again, that is why I'm here in the "Career Guidance" forum where several people have learned the politics, economics, and history as well as EXPERIENCED what has happened before. I was hoping they might share some more elaborate advice.

To the OP:

The first question I would want to ask you is whether you have an interest in ultimately pursuing a PhD, whether in Math or Computer Science. If so, then I would suggest you consider simply applying directly to a PhD program, since in the US (unlike in Canada and many other countries), students tend to go directly from an undergraduate program into their PhD.

Now on the second question about which field to pursue, this will depend very much on what field you are more interested in -- Math or Computer Science. If your passion is for cryptography, then either a Computer Science PhD or a Math/Applied Math PhD (perhaps specializing in Discrete Mathematics) could be for you. One possibility is to pursue a Math or Applied Math PhD, while simultaneously pursuing a MS in Computer Science (a number of schools allow this possibility).

Congratulations on pursuing a double major in Pure Mathematics and Computer & Information Science, with double minors in German and Physics! It is clear that you have a strong passion for both math and computer science, and this combination of skills will open up many opportunities for you in the future.

1. Regarding which masters degree to pursue first, it ultimately depends on your career goals and interests. If you are interested in pursuing a career in computer science or technology, then a master's degree in CIS may be a good option. If you are more interested in pursuing a career in academia or research, then a master's degree in math may be a better fit. You may also want to consider the specific programs and courses offered by each program and see which aligns more closely with your interests and goals.

2. As for career possibilities with your degrees, the options are vast and varied. Some potential career paths could include data analysis, software development, financial analysis, actuarial science, cryptography, and more. It would be helpful to research and network with professionals in these fields to gain a better understanding of the day-to-day responsibilities and opportunities available.

3. Pursuing a doctorate in mathematics and a master's in CIS can certainly be a valuable combination, as it will give you a strong foundation in both theoretical and applied aspects of your fields. However, it is important to carefully consider if this is the best path for you, as it can be a significant time and financial commitment. As for pursuing a third bachelor's degree in German or Physics, it may not be necessary unless you have a specific career goal that requires it. Instead, you may want to consider taking elective courses or pursuing a minor in these subjects to further enhance your skills and knowledge.

While attending your university, make sure to take advantage of all the resources available to you, such as internships, research opportunities, and networking events. These experiences will not only enhance your resume but also give you a better understanding of your career interests and goals. Additionally, make sure to maintain a strong academic record and build relationships with your professors, as they can provide valuable guidance and recommendations for your future pursuits.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider your goals and interests when making decisions about your education and career path. With a strong foundation in math and CIS, as well as your additional minors, you have a solid base for a successful and fulfilling career. Best of luck in your academic and professional journey!

1. What career options are available for someone with an undergraduate degree in Math and CIS?

With a degree in Math and CIS, you have a wide range of career options available to you. Some common career paths include data analyst, computer programmer, software engineer, actuary, and systems analyst. You could also pursue graduate studies in fields such as computer science, data science, or business analytics.

2. How can I use my degree to enter the tech industry?

Having a degree in both Math and CIS puts you in a strong position to enter the tech industry. You can use your mathematical and analytical skills to work in areas such as data science, machine learning, and artificial intelligence. Additionally, your knowledge of computer science will be valuable in roles such as software development, web development, and information technology.

3. What skills do I need to develop to be successful in my career with a Math and CIS degree?

To be successful in your career with a Math and CIS degree, you should focus on developing strong analytical and problem-solving skills. You should also have a solid understanding of programming languages and be able to adapt to new technologies quickly. Additionally, communication and teamwork skills are essential for working in the tech industry.

4. Should I pursue a graduate degree after obtaining my undergraduate degrees in Math and CIS?

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. Pursuing a graduate degree can open up more career opportunities and increase your earning potential. However, gaining work experience in the industry can also be beneficial. Consider your career goals and the job market before making a decision.

5. How can I stay updated on advancements in the fields of Math and CIS?

As a scientist, it's important to stay updated on advancements in your field. You can join professional organizations, attend conferences and workshops, and read industry publications and journals. Additionally, networking with professionals in your field can help you stay informed about new developments and opportunities.